Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Engine issues Need Help!! Dealership cant solve

Search this Thread

Old October 2nd, 2014, 10:29 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine issues Need Help!! Dealership cant solve

I have a 2010 Silverado Crew Cab Z71 5.3L with a little over 52K miles. I bought the truck brand new with 6 miles on it.

Let me give you some back ground. Around early June i had the service stabilitrac/traction control lights go off along with reduced engine power. I brought my truck into the dealship and they told me I needed to get a recalled left valve cover replaced. They replaced it along with 1 coil and 1 spark plug. During this same visit I went ahead and had them do a complete service on my tranny and my fuel system (whatever that entails).

Fast forward a couple months. I discovered about 3 weeks ago that at low rpms when accerating and also during constant rpms around 40 mph i will get this engine vibration/sputtering that will come and go. It almost feels like i am driving over cracks in the road.

I brought my truck to my local dealer and just to make sure he didnt think i was crazy i made them ride with me and he felt waht was going on imediately. He thought it felt like a miss, but was puzzled as to why it wasnt setting off any codes.

I leave it with them on tuesday and dont hear anything back until the following monday and its bad news. after hooking their diagnostics to my truck and recreating the vibration they are getting readings all within proper specs even though something clearly is going on. The service tech even mentioned while on the ride that it felt like it was idling a little rough.

Their technitions couldnt figure out what the problem is an ultimately left the case open gave me my truck back and put me on a list for a loaner vehicle. i havent heard anything back for about a week and a half, but he said it could be a couple weeks because there were a few others ahead of me on that list.

Has anyone else experienced anything like this or have any ideas asw to what could be causing this issue with my truck?
Old October 2nd, 2014, 11:31 AM
CF Beginner

thought I would also throw this in there. sometimes during low rpms the vibration is so bad it literally shakes the entire cab of my truck.
Old October 2nd, 2014, 12:15 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know on a lot of the 5.3s the cam is getting ate up. could cause it to run rough. If that is the case, oughta be able to change the oil and see a gold mine pouring out. Shiny with metal flakes.
Old October 2nd, 2014, 12:58 PM
Official GM Rep

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Hi rkmckeown,

If you'd like to send us your VIN,mileage and contact information we'll gladly work on documenting this issue within our system. We're sorry the dealership was unable to address this matter at your last service visit and that you'll have to return for additional testing. If you'd like for us to follow up with your dealership for further details we're more than happy to do so. We're available via private message if you'd like to further discuss this matter.

Thanks,
Amber N.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old October 2nd, 2014, 2:16 PM
CF Beginner

How obvious would metal shavings in the oil be? I am the only person that has ever changed the oil in my truck. Not like I have ever looked for metal shavings but I have never noticed any on the top of the drain pain or anything like that.