Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Engine rebuild

Search this Thread

Old September 7th, 2009, 12:35 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine rebuild

I am looking at rebuilding the engine in my truck myself. It has 413k miles on it now and still runs, but burns oil very bad. It used 15qt to go 400mi. I have most of the tools needed to replace all of the internal parts, but not sure if i can get away without all of the extra machine work (boring, porting, decking, etc...). Any help or advise would be greatly appreciated. This will be my first complete engine rebuild so I'm wanting to get all the advise I can before I jump into the deep end.
Old September 7th, 2009, 6:13 AM
Super Moderator
Ride of the Month
May 2009

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can leave out the porting unless you are changing the heads, but if you just change parts without the machine work you are wasting your time and money.
Old September 7th, 2009, 9:57 AM
CF Beginner

Thanks, thats the answer I was afraid of. I'm on a bit of a budget and trying to cut corners when possible, but I still need to make sure I can depend on this old beast for another year until things settle down here and I can get it all done right. I'll probably end up haveing the local machine shop rebuild it for me as the cost is just the same if i have to get all the machine work done to the block and heads, but their work comes with a warranty (that I'll probably never need).
Old September 7th, 2009, 10:16 AM
CF Beginner

Default Hi

Find your self a low mileage wreck yank the motor
Old September 7th, 2009, 10:24 AM
CF Beginner

Just finished looking at everything on it and found alot of surprises. The cylinders are all between 3.983" and 4.004". The rings are shot but every cylinder is true all the way around. Crank and cam are still in great shape, but it does need lifters. I can't find any reasons not to use the same block. There is no scoring or scratches on the cylinder With new internals it should be good as new right?I planned on getting the heads machined/rebuilt or replaced if they are bad enough. Any chance it will be dependable if I just get the block decked and heads taken care of? I can hone it myself. Just trying to pinch pennies where I can until we get settled in and I have more time to beef it up a bit, and get started on the body.
Old September 7th, 2009, 10:27 AM
Super Moderator

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Or consider the alternative of installing a short block. They're available at most large parts stores. That way all the internal work is done for you, you just re-use your manifolds and fuel system.

I think if you carefully price it out, the local machine shop isn't going to save that much money...

As 86C10 said, if you go to the junkyard, they'll usually guarantee a motor to start and run for a short period. This would will put you into a running engine more than likely for less than what you'd give the machine shop.
Old September 7th, 2009, 10:29 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by 86C10
Find your self a low mileage wreck yank the motor
Wrecked parts aren't an option. Even if I pull another motor (possibly with a carb and 4bolt main ) it would still get rebuilt. I've seen many junkyard engines let go very early.
Old September 7th, 2009, 10:43 AM
Super Moderator

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

On the other hand, if you start purchasing replacement components they could easily cost more that the short-block, even without machine shop charges...

If you really want to cheap out, just throw a new set of piston rings in what ya got, and run it till it drops. Then you'll have your chance to get " settled in", at which point you can buy a new engine and have done with it.

Last edited by therewolf; September 7th, 2009 at 10:53 AM.