Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Engine shuts off when driving

Search this Thread

Old June 25th, 2021, 9:17 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Please report these issues to the NHTSA 1-800-327-4236

Originally Posted by kenatofc
My 2003 Silverado 1500 Z71 5.3L 4WD, Ext cab frequently shuts down !!! The warning signal beeps 4 times (without any visual indication of what the problem is), the door locks cycle on and off and the engine quits !!! First time it happened I was on an Interstate at 75mph and after restarting (by shifting to neutral and turning key) also had to stop to change pants !! (driving a non responsive 2 1/2 ton brick at high speed is not cool !!)
Took it to a dealer and they ran diagnostics to no avail. I never know when or why it shuts down... Does not seem to matter at what ever speed. I feel it must certainly be an electrical problem somewhere but do not know where to start !!! It could be coming from the driver's door electrical connections ???? as quite often, my seat heater comes on at max temp (3 lights). Never know when that is going to occur also. I posted this previously but no responses !! still need help....
We are having similar issues with our 2014 Silverado. Will also stall at low speeds when turning, stabiltrak warning flickers, all panel lights go out, this is a safety issue. Dealer replaced negative battery cable and still same issue. If everyone with these issues would file a complaint with the NHTSA it could result in a recall. Good luck!
Old December 14th, 2021, 12:42 PM
CF Beginner

Default My z71 is doing the same thing!

Originally Posted by kenatofc
My 2003 Silverado 1500 Z71 5.3L 4WD, Ext cab frequently shuts down !!! The warning signal beeps 4 times (without any visual indication of what the problem is), the door locks cycle on and off and the engine quits !!! First time it happened I was on an Interstate at 75mph and after restarting (by shifting to neutral and turning key) also had to stop to change pants !! (driving a non responsive 2 1/2 ton brick at high speed is not cool !!)
Took it to a dealer and they ran diagnostics to no avail. I never know when or why it shuts down... Does not seem to matter at what ever speed. I feel it must certainly be an electrical problem somewhere but do not know where to start !!! It could be coming from the driver's door electrical connections ???? as quite often, my seat heater comes on at max temp (3 lights). Never know when that is going to occur also. I posted this previously but no responses !! still need help....
my truck is a 99 z71 with the 5.3 liter and it is doing the same exact thing! Did u ever find out problem?
Old December 14th, 2021, 4:25 PM
CF Beginner

Default Truck shutting down

Originally Posted by russ june
my truck is a 99 z71 with the 5.3 liter and it is doing the same exact thing! Did u ever find out problem?
The dealership claims they replaced the "negative battery cable" and that seems to have resolved our issue (knock on wood).
Old May 3rd, 2022, 2:46 PM
CF Beginner

[QUOTE=moyneur;437759]I purchased a Certified Pre-Owned 2014 Siverado 4x4 last June (2019) with 19000 mile on it. I have had the vehicle completely shut off, like some one pulled the plug on it, three times, twice in one day and one more time two days later. It's at the dealership now, the system did show some issues with it shorting out but unable to find out whats wrong. They did check ground "PIT5405" and was good. They are trying to duplicate the issue so the can fix it, not realy sure what that will tell them. I'm just afraid that I purchease some ones problems and now I'm screwed.
I am having same problem , but it shuts off more as I am turning . This morning it died making a right turn with my horse trailer on the back , I lost power steering And brakes. Luckily I did not hit the car I was turning towards .
2 years of this with no solution . Anyone have suggestions ? If there aren’t any codes coming up , could it be narrowed down to wiring somewhere ?