Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

exhaust

Search this Thread

Old May 12th, 2009, 11:04 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default exhaust

I need a new y pipe and they are expensive i am wondering if it would be cheaper to just straight pipe it off of the manifolds? The problem is I am wondering if my truck will run better with catylitic converters on it? With the y pipe you need 1 with straight pipes you need two. My grandpa has a tube bender and use to work for walker and has a sh** ton of stainless pipe so thats all free let me know what you guys think!
Old May 12th, 2009, 11:24 PM
CF Active Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb

To clarify things, right now your truck only has one pipe (y-pipe converges the two pipes into one) so you have one catalytic converter and one muffler?

If that is the case, and you have access to creating a custom (true dual) exhaust for very cheap, my suggestion would be to go custom. You would need new catalytic converters and preferrably new mufflers, but for the sound you would gain from having true duals would be outstanding. If you don't already have headers, I might suggest a pair if you're going to revamp your entire exhaust system.

I don't know how strict your emissions testing is where you are, or if its even existent, but if you wanted to literally straight pipe your truck, you could find some old used catalytic converters in a junk yard that have a decent housing. You'd only need to split them open, gut them, and run the same size pipe as your exhaust through them, and weld everything back together. You'd have to fool your O2 sensor, but that's not that difficult. Same for your mufflers/glasspacks if you want to go that way, but I would suggest keeping the mufflers on to have decent backpressure to aid in valve closure so you don't burn them to bits.

Another suggestion, if you go with a completely custom exhaust; build in an X or an H pipe; you should notice a bit of down-low torque from it. =]

I hope I helped; sorry my post is so long.
Old May 12th, 2009, 11:44 PM
CF Active Member

what happened to your y-pipe?
Old May 12th, 2009, 11:45 PM
Super Moderator

no its fine but yes it has a one in two out muffler. Actually i just did an exhaust job on it. It sounds nice now i have a flowmaster on it. I am just wanting to replace my rusty y pipe or do true duals. Do true duals sound a lot different then one in two out? Mine sounds pretty mean right now!
Old May 12th, 2009, 11:46 PM
Super Moderator

well I thought my cat was plugged so i cut it off and somone already gutted it big mistake!! And the guy before me alrerady had a patch welded on it
Old May 12th, 2009, 11:47 PM
CF Active Member

Just weld a straight pipe in place then.
Old May 12th, 2009, 11:55 PM
Super Moderator

yeah the outlet to the y pipe is like 3.5 inch dont know of any 3.5 inch to 2.5 inch adapters
Old May 13th, 2009, 12:04 AM
CF Active Member

You would be surprised what an exhaust shop could do. Maybe they could help. You may just have to find one with a competent staff. It seems like we are always the only two awake at this hour. Everyone else must have a life.
Old May 13th, 2009, 12:09 AM
CF Active Member

These are some different exhaust options and pretty much what they sound like. I tried my best to match up model years and such, but it was hard to find a single in dual out on youtube; but you already know what it sounds like. =]

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MnulKdWt1Ts&feature=related">Straight pipe with cats, no mufflers, true duals</a>

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c_SrsZR8RxE">No cats, no mufflers, true duals</a>

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sgd5I32u9xE&feature=related">True dual, no cats, flowmaster 40 series mufflers</a>

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Unuki7x6Yt0">Singe in dual out, magnaflow; can barely hear it. </a>
Old May 13th, 2009, 12:19 AM
Super Moderator

yeah im up now because im at work till 200 in the morning in michigan

Quick Reply: exhaust