Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

fuel pump issues?

Search this Thread

Old September 29th, 2011, 4:58 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default fuel pump issues?

Hi there. I have an 01 silverado 1500 4x4 5.3 auto. For the past couple months its been having some cold start issues you'd have to crank it for about <5 seconds before it'd start, when it did start it'd start sorta rough, rougher then usual anyways(not as bad as our 7.3L of course but for a gasoline engine). Alright so I had just gotten done detailing the truck and took it to the wash, my father washed the engine bay(low pressure) got in it and it wouldn't start just crank and crank. Pushed it out of the bay and let it sit, turned the key on and crawled underneith it to see if I could hear the fuel pump didn't hear anything, felt around etc, sat there for about 30 minutes, pulled the gas cap off and back on for some dumb reason(after making sure all wires and spark plugs and connections looked good in engine bay) got in the truck and it started up. Drove it home, shut it off started up a couple more times drove it around. Was fine for another 3 days, even put about 150 more miles on it. Yesterday went to start it after it had been off for less then 30 minutes and it started for about 5 seconds then died. I cranked maybe twice then got a ride to school. I haven't touched it yet. Any ideas? Thank you
Old September 29th, 2011, 7:28 PM
CF Beginner

Btw the ABS and brake(red) sometimes come on when you are driving
Old September 29th, 2011, 8:33 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would have the fuel pressure checked.
Old September 30th, 2011, 9:48 PM
CF Beginner

Pulled fuel line and no fuel when key is on. Just wanting to make sure its the pump
Old October 1st, 2011, 6:31 PM
CF Junior Member

Check fuel relay.. see if you have power at pump. Check make sure oil level is fine.
Relay behind glove box .. should here it energies for a few seconds at start / turn of key.
Low oil will cut pump off. Check all .. before changing pump .. If you find it to be pump pull bed easiest way.