Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

Gas mileage in a 2011 Silverado 1500 4WD Crew Cab LTZ

Search this Thread

Old February 7th, 2014, 9:42 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by '03 Heavy Chevy
I'm hoping to make one or two mods (i.e. tuning the computer) to have the transmission shift for less power but with better MPG. But, I've never messed with the truck computer, so just looking for any advice from those that have done it before and either liked it or disliked it.

I don't want to trade in my truck. Its the only truck I've owned since my son was born. Hoping to keep it and give it to him when he starts driving.

Thanks for your input!
Bumping for more input
Old March 24th, 2014, 5:34 PM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So why are you punishing your kid in such an evil way. Park your truck in your backyard if you think you may need it to pull something and get a car. Get a car for your son, too. A Cavalier made me happy https://chevroletforum.com/forum/cav...er-rant-62851/ ... or reserve your Elio Elio Motors: Ultra High Mileage Vehicle or get something else, there is no need to drive a truck to haul your 200 lbs body ... unless there is a 3000 lbs ego tied to it. In this case I recommend go and see a shrink, will be sheaper in long run.
Old March 24th, 2014, 5:53 PM
CF Junior Member

Originally Posted by Segfault
So why are you punishing your kid in such an evil way. Park your truck in your backyard if you think you may need it to pull something and get a car. Get a car for your son, too. A Cavalier made me happy https://chevroletforum.com/forum/cav...er-rant-62851/ ... or reserve your Elio Elio Motors: Ultra High Mileage Vehicle or get something else, there is no need to drive a truck to haul your 200 lbs body ... unless there is a 3000 lbs ego tied to it. In this case I recommend go and see a shrink, will be sheaper in long run.
Wow that is not a helpful response and totally uncalled for......
Old March 24th, 2014, 7:37 PM
CF Beginner

Default 2011 Silverado & MPG

After reading through ALL the posts, agreeing with some, wondering about the others... Figured I'd throw my 2 cents in.

I have a 2011 Silverado LS Ext Cab, 30,9xx mi. Actually, went through ALL the gas options. 87 up to 93. NO difference in what she did for mileage, as far as the average goes. Put $60.00 in of 87, You get more gas than $60.00 of 93.

So in my eyes, I paid same amount to get less gas, and didn't see a noticeable difference in performance. So, I typically stay w/ 87, put 93 in her, on occasion.
Old June 2nd, 2014, 4:55 PM
CF Beginner

I currently own a 2007 Tundra Crewmax, 5.7 (4:10 gears) with 130,000 miles on it. I am considering a Silverado for my next truck. It all depends on the gas mileage. I like what they did with the truck but dependability will out way the bells and whistles.

I tow an RV that weighs about 7,000 lbs. with no problem, I live in Florida, (no hills). I get 16 to 17 mpg city/highway if I keep my foot out of it on my daily driving and 8 to 9 towing with reg. gas and I got 10.5 using high test over the holiday weekend. I had to see for myself AND premium gas does get me better mileage (towing or not).

From what I have read on line etc. (Motor Week, Auto Guide) the trucks that deactivate cylinders get the same as I do but I don't have to deal with that surging and searching for the right gear, my step son has a 2010 1500 5.3L and I drove it for a week while he used my truck to tow the RV. He does not care for that either and his truck got the same mileage as mine.

Any info on the 2014 will be appreciated. Thanks. Joe
Old June 3rd, 2014, 9:37 PM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

if your running a low compression engine or a n/a engine, higher octane fuel is a complete waste of money. Stock class racers have known this for years; higher octane fuel will make you run slower. Put it in a high comp engine or s/c or turbo engine it will lower knock retard so the engine can advance the timing greatly increasing power with some increase mpg also.

afm accounts for approx. 4%increase in mpg
Old June 4th, 2014, 4:55 PM
CF Active Member

not that anyone cares but I average 15 in my 2011 2500HD 6.0L

your computer is programmed for the recommended octane

the higher the octane the slower it burns - to compensate or to take advantage of the slower burning fuel you have to advance your ignition timing - that's not something you can do or something your computer is going to do

I went from mid-grade to premium in my 5.0L Mustang and advanced the initial timing 4 degrees and picked up 2 mpg - more than paid for the 10 cents a gallon more I paid for the premium

it's not going to happen with the newer vehicles

If I changed my driving habits I have no doubt I could get another 1 mpg out of my truck but it's not worth it to me
Old June 4th, 2014, 7:18 PM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

Originally Posted by Pugly
your computer is programmed for the recommended octane

the higher the octane the slower it burns - to compensate or to take advantage of the slower burning fuel you have to advance your ignition timing - that's not something you can do or something your computer is going to do
That is exactly what the ecm does for every car that has a knock sensor. the ecm will advance the ignition timing. if the knock sensor detects detonation, the ecm will retard the timing until the knock stops.

I run a s/c engine. there is much more timing advance when I run premium. My n/a car with premium, not so much...no noticeable difference.
Old April 19th, 2015, 4:46 PM
CF Beginner

I've been having the same thing happen in my 2011 Tahoe. It never seems to go to V4 and the mileage has continued to drop (AVG about 12.5). Normally on my older vehicles, I would check out the EGR valve. I can't seem to find any useful info on this topic and year model.
Old April 19th, 2015, 4:50 PM
CF Beginner

Cool

Originally Posted by Segfault
I'm thinkin' this guy fell out of the tree he was huggin' to respond to this post while riding his Segway...... Trucks are for real men Hippie!!

Quick Reply: Gas mileage in a 2011 Silverado 1500 4WD Crew Cab LTZ