Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

Gas mileage in a 2011 Silverado 1500 4WD Crew Cab LTZ

Search this Thread

Old December 23rd, 2011, 8:19 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

has anyone used a bully dog or super chip tuner or any after mar
ket tuner on their truck for mileage...
Old December 23rd, 2011, 8:38 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Idk Neal about the drag and aero dynamics, I bought my rims and tires from a crappy source and it took 5 weeks to get them. In the mean time I drove around with the lift and stock tires and didnt notice any difference whatsoever even on a trip to the mountains but as soon as the tires went on BAM it all went bad... Im bidding on some 4.10s right now and thats probably what Im going with either way so Ill let you know... My thing is Ive built a many truck and Ive never seen 35s F*ck things up so much but then again B4 I didnt know something as high as 3.07 came off the line but Im not dissing it in any way becuase if you want to keep it stock its Awsome...
Old December 24th, 2011, 9:03 AM
CF Beginner

thanks for the heads up...mine actually may have a 4:10...mayb a 4:11 im not a hundred percent on that the guy I bought it from did the lift work. But the previous owner did the gear ratio swap, so in the next week or 2 im gonna take it in and have it inspected, i may just go with a 3:73 as the wheels are 32.5" o.d.
Old December 30th, 2011, 7:05 PM
CF Beginner

i just read the owners manual on my 03 it sais if you use bigger than factory wheels the odometer and the speedometer computers need to bee recalibrated. The deal also suggested getting a tuner and adjusting the main computer system Then a friend said the tranny computer needs to be calibrated. It needs the specs on tire size...IDK if thats the same as the odometer/speedometer i'm assuming it is. Mine has something taller than 3.73. the dealer said according to the vin it came with 3.73 gears, an the guy i bought it from said it had taller than factory gears in it...so hope that helps i'm gonna get it in next week to get calibration done and the gears calculated thenprobably drop back to 3.73...any ideas where to get the best price on gears
Old December 30th, 2011, 7:30 PM
CF Junior Member

Ebay man! #390257295009 thats my 4.11s but that seller has all the ratios for $99 brand new and from my experience unless your rockclimbing hardcore a gear is a gear, its made out to be such a big deal but Ive just slapped em in 4 of my trucks without checking anything, all with 36 to 44s and never once had a problem
Old December 30th, 2011, 7:33 PM
CF Junior Member

Oh and just about all of your tuners will recalibrate speedo for tires and gears...
Old January 2nd, 2012, 6:10 PM
CF Beginner

I've got a 2011 Silverado 1500 LT 4wd extended cab 4wd I purchased the first part of December. I've got right at 2000 miles on it now. I live in Alabama. In the city I average 15.9mpg and on the highway I average anywhere between 16 and 18mpg, and that's driving 75 to 80 mph on the interstate. I've noticed that my mileage is getting better as the truck gets more broke in. I've also noticed that I get the best mileage on the hwy when I use cruise control. I try to use non-ethanol gas whenever I can find it. I get less mileage with the 10% ethanol and to me, less power than with non-ethanol gas. Overall, I'm satisfied with mine because I'm getting better fuel mileage than the 2008 Toyota Tacoma TRD 4wd I had and it had a 6 cyl. Not to mention I've got a bigger truck, more towing power, and more room. Not sure why your truck is getting bad mileage unless it has to do with where you live. (elevation)
Old January 11th, 2012, 11:27 PM
CF Beginner

ok so check this out...i just bought a super chips tuner a 2815 with recent updates on it., I plugged in the it scanned my vin and gave me the factory specs, the gear ratio, shift points tire size etc, everything that was the factory setting, i then used the options menu and input my upgrades, 32.5 tires 3.73. gears up from the factory 3.42 then also adjusted the shift rpm range which increased the torque as well as increased the shift psi at the tranny from stock to +2 in each gear which overall improved my mileage. i was at about 13 mpgs at 60 to 68 mph now its at anywhere from 17 to 22 depending on road conditions
Old January 18th, 2012, 5:20 PM
CF Junior Member

Originally Posted by greyhound
I have a 2010 silverado 1500 crew cab 4x4 with a 6.0 litre motor [flex fuel]. The dealer gave me a free tank of gas [regular], it ran smooth but it didn`t last long. Common sense tells me a V8 wants premium gas and the manual recomends a top tier gas. My average MPG is 16.8 to 17, half highway and half around town, in the foothills of NC next to Virginia. Premium gas burns cleaner, cooler and produces more HP and better MPG. This motor has the same HP my 05 corvette had. Would you put regular gas in a vette?

Common sense is that if an engine has a combustion ratio and is designed for 87 Octane gas then putting in 93 Octane gas is a complete waste of money. Higher Octane does not mean more power. It only means greater resistance to pre-ignition so the timing can be advanced further. Higher compression engines are more susceptible to knock and with computer controlled ignitions (on most cars manufactured in the USA for the past 25 years) if lower Octane fuel is used then the computer retards the ignition.

The number of cylinders has nothing to do with the Octane gas needed, only the compression ratio which pre-heats the gas before the spark from the spark plug ignites it. With a very high compression engine like the diesel the compression alone is enough to ignite the fuel and there are no spark plugs at all.

I get 15-16mpg around town with a large VR 1998 Chevy Tahoe. On the highway I get 17mpg if I keep the speed below 72mph. At 80mph my mpg is around 13-14mpg. The air resistance goes up with the square of the speed. A truck at 60mph uses 4 times the effort to push aside the air as it does at 30mph. More effort equates to more power from the engine and more gas consumed.

MPG also assumes a vehicle with a driver. Add weight in the form of passengers, heavier tires, bags of sand in the back for traction, and the MPG is going to decrease.

A simple trick that helps gas mileage with a pickup is to leave the tailgate down or cover the top of the bed with a cap or shell. Adds about 0.5mpg on the highway with the reduced turbulence and drag.
Old February 20th, 2012, 3:34 AM
CF Beginner

Default Honestly GM......

I have a 2011 Silverado LT2 1500 with the 5.3L flex fuel LC9, tow package, and displacement on demand w/3.42 gearing and Im pissed. I paid almost 40K for this truck and it gets, at VERY best, 12.8 MPG HWY. I live in rural illinois (flat & straight) and drive about 30 miles back and forth from work and usually burn e85 which, at best, give me about 10.5-10.8 MPG HWY.... Im sorry but my 2002 GMC 1500 5.3 w/ 4.10s and 35" tires and a 4" lift still got 15-16 MPG at 60-65mph. In my opinion GM ****ed up on some engineering, weather it be the tranny and gears or just the Active Cylinder Management or DOD. The only time my truck goes into 4 cylinder mode is when Im off the gas, on the brakes, or coasting down a hill....no recall though.... Come on GM.... The F150 Eco Boost V6 does everything better than my GM except looks.. Get with the program, WE want 350hp/375tq in an all aluminum turbo charged v8 that gets 20+mpg

Quick Reply: Gas mileage in a 2011 Silverado 1500 4WD Crew Cab LTZ