Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Gas mileage in a 2011 Silverado 1500 4WD Crew Cab LTZ

Search this Thread

Old May 27th, 2011, 8:49 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just drove about 4 hours with my cruse. Control set at 65. (2011 crew cab ) and got 20. 7 mpg. Very little stopping or slowing. If I go over 70 the mpg drops off to 16 or17 mpg.
Old May 28th, 2011, 9:52 AM
CF Active Member

Wide or heavier tires and rims can lower your gas mileage, just jacking up the frame can cause more under carriage wind friction.

Putting higher octane gas than recommended is foolish. A change in octane changes the firing characteristics of you fuel meaning your spark plugs fire at the wrong time and your fuel ignites while the piston is still coming up. This eventually can creat pits in the piston heads that eventually wear the piston out prematurely. What I'm not sure about is if the modern computerized car can account for this octane problem. But anyway the first problem will be lower gas mileage because this is not an efficient way for the engine to operate.

Another gas mileage stealth problem is, getting back to tires and rims, wheel circumference changes. A bigger wheel will screw up you speedometer, you computer mileage readouts and gear ratios. It will be subtle probably not more than 10% change. You can check this by doing milepost check for 5 miles against your speedometer reading. You can also have the computer adjusted to handle a change. Of courses the dealer will milk you for five minutes of work, so if a buddy has a commputer programmer he can do it. I find it surprising that tire companies don't do this when they change wheels on vehicles.
Old June 2nd, 2011, 4:34 PM
CF Beginner

There has to be something wrong with my truck, no matter what I do, I can't get over 16 MPG.
Old June 2nd, 2011, 6:48 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by jayvas
There has to be something wrong with my truck, no matter what I do, I can't get over 16 MPG.
What gears do you have?
Old June 5th, 2011, 4:53 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by ramnj
I have a 2011 Silverado 1500 4WD Extended Cat LT with the VORTEC 5.3L V8 and have around 500 miles on it now. My main drive every day is about 16 miles to work on flat back roads and the only long distance trip so far has been 150 miles round trip on the highway at 70 MPH with CC. The average MPG so far seem to be between 16.8 to 18.1 using 87 Octane.
I have the same truck with a little less than 1,000 miles on it and I get about the same as you.
Old September 10th, 2011, 9:41 AM
CF Beginner

I also have 2011 crew cab that get similar mpg. i have complained to dealer..no result.

i have 5000 miles, rarely carry loads, use no ethanol, drive on 4 lane highways most of time, have 5.3 with 3.42 - 6 speed, 4wd.

Best mileage on trip was 15.
Old September 10th, 2011, 11:41 AM
CF Active Member

You guys are missing something here. Premium fuel has a different detonation point and requires different timing to make it work. So, just putting the fuel in without retimingthe engine will most likely reduce mileage. As for his mileage being bad in his Cleveland Buffalo trip, give me a break, 73 mph is bad news for mileage. If you want to see optimum mileage I would estimate it will be around 45 to 55 mph. Speed creates more wind resistance but to a certain point helps mileage, so you have to find the happy point where wind and speed are optimum for mileage. In a pickup windage is a bigger problem becauses the are so UN aireodynamic!

On the other hand I find the 8 cylinder/4cylinder feature in my pickup to be a joke, it rarely comes on and maybe could be a big help if you miles of downhill cruising included in your trip. Trouble is at some point you will have to go up the mountain and lose everything you gained. So, it may help on terrain that goes up and down a lot, but the results could only be measured against another truck that didn't have it because the situation where it works is a bad mileage situation already. So, it will only make a bad mileage run less bad!
Old November 8th, 2011, 8:52 PM
CF Beginner

Don't feel bad , i just got a 2011 gmc sierra with a 5.3 4x4 6 spd auto and 3:42 gears and it gets like 13-14 mpg as well
Old November 8th, 2011, 9:01 PM
CF Beginner

Hey guys and Girls , New to the forum and Just got a new 2011 gmc sierra w/t 4x4 with 5.3 with a 6 spd automatic with 3:42 gears , I was wanting to know if i could put in 4:10- 4:11 gears and run somewhat decent at 65mph ??? right now i can go about 80 @ 2100 rpms , But i was also was curious if i have do do anything else with computer or traction control etc when i go to change gears so it runs right with no computer errors popping up ? I would love to see it run about 1,900 to 2,000 rpms with the stock tires i have on it @55-65, all help greatly appreciated , thank you in advance ;-)
Old November 8th, 2011, 9:02 PM
CF Active Member

Originally Posted by abikerinpa
Don't feel bad , i just got a 2011 gmc sierra with a 5.3 4x4 6 spd auto and 3:42 gears and it gets like 13-14 mpg as well
Highway??

Quick Reply: Gas mileage in a 2011 Silverado 1500 4WD Crew Cab LTZ