Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

Gasser or Diesel truck to buy?

Search this Thread

Old August 19th, 2013, 10:38 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I like the dura max myself. My brother has an 02 with 330,000 miles on it. No major issues with it at all. He pulled my fathers semi tractor on a goose neck through the Rockies from Montana to Missouri. Didn't top the hills at 60 by no means but never slower than 40.
Old August 20th, 2013, 6:50 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by country_09
I'm not sayin all fords a crap, I'm just sayin I've seen more ford tranny's go out than I've seen Allison's go out. Realistically if you have the mods you say you have and are runnin 8.1 in 1/8 mile then that tranny you have won't last much longer. Actually just drove 3 fords in the past 3 weeks(6.0 and two 6.4s) of my uncles, a 6.6 Dmax/Allison combo, and a 5.9 with a built sun coast. All have similar mods blah blah programmer, intake, straight piped. And honestly the cummins pulled the best, but you could tell the tranny wouldn't hold up to it. The Dmax and ford were pretty close, but I go back to seein more fords go out than Allison's so I stick with that. And no it's not ridiculous, I've driven my dads truck plenty of times and yes have blown them away even from a stand still and a roll, pretty close at first through 2 gears but still out by a cab and a half then once 3rd hits I pull like crazy on em. Now are they apparently fully built and pushin however many hp/tq you are? Probably not. But it's happened. Seein their face is priceless as well. I've also raced a buddies cammed 5.3 and had him by 2 1/2 car lengths. Without the rims and tires he has, it'd run in the high 12s low 13s at a 1/4 mile. Once a cam comes in to play, be lookin at low/mid 12s.

I get that you want a diesel, but maintenance will kill it for most people as they're 2x-3x as much to keep up. Get a 6.0 in a 1500 with 4.10 gears and do the few things you want and drive it. His will pull our 20ft trailer with 5 four wheelers and stuff in the bed to our lease no problem and doesn't skip a beat. Put it in cruise control, even though you're not suppose to, and it'll hold it.

Also strokin, what exactly are you on a chevy forum for if you're all over the pstroke business?
Because I have a tahoe and I love it. I'm not one of those brand loyal freaks. I just buy what I like the most. My trans is holding up just fine and has been holding this power for several years and probably 50k miles. I service it regularly and have traction bars which help the shifting a whole lot. By the way, I saw at the track a few weekends ago a cammed silvarado ss get beat by an eco boost F150 and also here is my time slip so you know I'm not full of it I'm on the right....
Name:  IMAG0807.jpg
Views: 176
Size:  42.2 KB

and trust me I have had my fair share of problems with this truck, just not the trans.

Last edited by strokinpower; August 20th, 2013 at 8:20 AM.
Old August 20th, 2013, 7:35 AM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

the Allison trans is a great trans. Once you start modding , at a certain point the trans will start entering failsafe mode...to protect itself. depending on how far you go, a tcm tune and or trans upgrades will be needed.
Old August 20th, 2013, 8:18 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by tech2
the Allison trans is a great trans. Once you start modding , at a certain point the trans will start entering failsafe mode...to protect itself. depending on how far you go, a tcm tune and or trans upgrades will be needed.
That certain point is 90-100 hp over stock
Old August 20th, 2013, 3:59 PM
CF Active Member

Here in Abilene, its all about diesels...there are many mod shops for them... Im sure they are fast. Ive seen some break the back wheels loose at 35 mph. But Im getting real sick of the trucks with the big *** pipes the size of a human head blowing black smoke in my face, driven by some rich momma's boy 20 something, Nike golf hat/golf shirt, Oakly shades wearing Texas Tech bumper sticker *****. Ive got 63 El Camino sitting out here about 6 months away from completion. One of the 1st things I'm going to do is lay down the law on some Cummins and Stroker ***. (Ha....that actually sounded "dirty")
Old August 20th, 2013, 4:17 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by SuperTexan
Here in Abilene, its all about diesels...there are many mod shops for them... Im sure they are fast. Ive seen some break the back wheels loose at 35 mph. But Im getting real sick of the trucks with the big *** pipes the size of a human head blowing black smoke in my face, driven by some rich momma's boy 20 something, Nike golf hat/golf shirt, Oakly shades wearing Texas Tech bumper sticker *****. Ive got 63 El Camino sitting out here about 6 months away from completion. One of the 1st things I'm going to do is lay down the law on some Cummins and Stroker ***. (Ha....that actually sounded "dirty")
The whole "rolling coal" thing has gotten totally out of hand. I'm also a firm believer in that your exhaust tip should be no bigger that 1" over the actual size of the exhaust pipe.
Old August 20th, 2013, 6:47 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What torque numbers are you puttin down? Gas trucks can't do justice when it comes to racing a diesel on a short track I will say that, and the fact that a cammed SS got beat by an ecoboost is sayin the guy who tuned the SS ain't worth a crap or the Ecoboost wasn't stock. And I agree with the diesel tip blowin smoke bs. Kinda gettin old now a days with all the mommy-daddy bought nonsense and they thinkin they're god. I'll stand by my Dmax/Allison combo, but the ford trucks look much better
Old August 20th, 2013, 6:50 PM
CF Beginner

Man I haven't had it dynoed yet but based on other trucks with the same mods I should be around 600HP and 1100 ft lbs. To me, Chevy hasn't made a good looking truck since 2002 and the independent front suspension on a 3/4 or 1 ton truck is just plain silly. If you look at the tie rods on a Duramax vs the ones on a dodge or a ford it is amazing how pathetic they are.

Last edited by strokinpower; August 20th, 2013 at 6:53 PM.
Old August 20th, 2013, 8:05 PM
CF Beginner

Im really leanin torward a 04 sssilvy. Basic mods really turn it up and awd is a plus. Besides I dont ha e rich parents to help me with a diesel lol. The smoke is rediculous if its a raggedy *** truck with just the fuel pump turnt tf up but if its an actual good runnin diesel smoke just makes it more badass.
Old August 21st, 2013, 6:06 AM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by strokinpower
Man I haven't had it dynoed yet but based on other trucks with the same mods I should be around 600HP and 1100 ft lbs. To me, Chevy hasn't made a good looking truck since 2002 and the independent front suspension on a 3/4 or 1 ton truck is just plain silly. If you look at the tie rods on a Duramax vs the ones on a dodge or a ford it is amazing how pathetic they are.
Good numbers there, the torque will kill it down low with those numbers..Now that ill agree with. 99-02 are my favorite which is why I have an 01. The 02HDs look awesome IMO. And yes the whole ifs junk is dumb, should be solid axle but idk what chevy is thinkin, appealing to the city fella who wants a softer ride I guess.