Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

H.I.D help

Search this Thread

Old March 16th, 2008, 2:05 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default H.I.D help

i want to throw somw h.i.d's into my 03 silverado but am having a hard time choosing a brand and intensity.anyone have any suggestions.help is appreaciated
Old March 16th, 2008, 12:47 PM
CF Junior Member

Default RE: H.I.D help

You would need reengineered reflectors otherwise the light will just blind drivers and make them mad. Unless you can find reflectors that were designed to work with the HID lights you want and for your truck, I would recommend not using them.
Old March 16th, 2008, 2:48 PM
CF Monarch

Received 26 Likes on 9 Posts

not so. You can put HIDs in the stock housings. I recommend anyhing from 4300k and 6000k. any higher and they create a glare and become annoying.
Old March 16th, 2008, 9:18 PM
Super Moderator

Someone suggested this site to mefor HID's: http://xenoneyes.com/index.php I did not buy anything, decided to go with silverstars insted to stay street legal.
Old March 17th, 2008, 12:01 PM
CF Beginner

I have a H.I.D. Kit fro Higherlevelauto.com. The kit is great and one of the best prices i have seen around for the kit ($149). I just bought the low beam kit which was the 9006 bulb. The kit was a 6000k and i love it. I am looking to buy the high beam kit and i have been researching the bright box which will allow the high and low beams to stay on at the same time when i turn the highs on.

Does anyone know if the bright box will work with HIDs?

Old March 17th, 2008, 1:54 PM
Super Moderator

FredChevy24, welcome to the forum!!! It should work because the there will be minimal current going through it to activate the relays that run the headlights. Plus once the lights are activated they only draw 35watts or there about.
Old March 17th, 2008, 2:13 PM
CF Monarch

Received 26 Likes on 9 Posts

The quad beam mod (a.k.a. bright box) will olny engage in high beams, but you will have to disable your DRLs. To my knowledge, yes, they will work with HIDs. In fact they will probably work better because you won't have the second or so of low light when you switch to highbeams.

I also renig on what I said before, you can get HID hoods to go over the bulbs to reduce glare. to oncoming drivers.
Old March 17th, 2008, 3:15 PM
CF Junior Member

thanks for yhe help guys
Old March 18th, 2008, 12:07 AM
CF Senior Member

I have installed HID's in several of my vehicles. Heres what I learned. HID's are not made for halogen housings, but will still work, so you dont blind oncoming drivers, you have to re-aim your headlights down a bit. Its best to park on a level surfacefacing a building to make sure both your headlights are level with each other. The kelvin rating is a color scale. The higher you go up, the more color you get, but the less lumens(brightness) youll get out of the lights. Its best to stay between 4300K-6000K for brightness. Ive had 8000K before and they looked great IMO and still were way brighter than my hologens, but not near as bright as my 6000K's or my dads 4100K's. Usually noticable color is introduced at 6000K, which is a purplish/blue. 8000K is bluish white, and anything above that youre chancing yourself to get pulled over by the cops. Ive had a lot of problems from a company called McColluch, I wouldnt buy from them. The best kits I ever owned were Xenarc and Philips. Hella makes good components too. Look for a company that offers a warranty beyond 90 days. Look for a "all in one ballast" or a gen3 or gen4 ballast. This is a ballast in which the ignitor and the ballast is one unit and is not seperate. Kits that sell these parts seperate are not good kits. Also, look for kits that sell a "RELAY" wiring harness. This is a wiring harness that draws current from the battery and not the factory wiring, the factory wiring is only used for switching. These are good kits. The kits that say plug and play and do not come with a relay harness, dont be suprised if you melt your factory wiring harness or burn your truck up, ive seen it several times, trust me. Factory wiring components are not cheap to replace either. www.plasmagarage.com sells a good kit. www.xenoneyes.com sells a good kit. You have to buy the relay harness as an option, but it is availible at the website.
Old March 18th, 2008, 12:16 AM
CF Senior Member

I dont know when the body style changed with the silverado. But if your headlights look like the ones on this website, I highly, highly, recommend purchasing this kit!! I had this kit (the one made for the ford), and it was one of the best Ive ever had. The housing comes with the kit, and the housing is made for HID's. The lumenance is fanastic. You wont find anything else as brightas this kit. Its 4100k. No color, just extremely bright white light. When I was in the middle lane of a 5 lane highway, it lit up the whole highway on both sides of me. Check it out. http://www.brightheadlights-hid.com/...ghts-x2020.htm

Quick Reply: H.I.D help