Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

has anyone removed the cats on a 07 nbs silverado?

Search this Thread

Old September 13th, 2008, 3:52 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default has anyone removed the cats on a 07 nbs silverado?

i'm wanting to remove the cats, but i got the run around that the check engine light will come on. any suggestions will help.
i'm alsowondering if it will affect the truck in a way other than the light? i've read that they help get up to operating temperature at start up. please help!
thanx mike
Old September 13th, 2008, 11:32 PM
CF Active Member

Default RE: has anyone removed the cats on a 07 nbs silverado?

the o2 sensors after the cats will trip out and prob make it run bad and also affect fuel milage
Old September 14th, 2008, 2:03 PM
CF Beginner

I have a 2001 Silverado that I removed the cats on. I have had it that way for about 3 1/2 years. The only thing it did was make the check engine light come on. I did some research on the O2 sensors. The one in front of the cat is the one that adjusts the air fuel mixture. The one behind the cat tells the computer if the cats are working properly or not.I didn't notice any change in the gas mileage, but I noticed a huge change in the sound of my exhaust. I'm not positive that the 07 will be the same, but you could probably do a little research and find out. I went to the local auto parts store and bought a Haynes Repair Manual and that is how I found out. I hope this helps. Good luck.
Old September 16th, 2008, 4:52 PM
CF Beginner

YES you can.
Of course that all depends on the state you live in.
If you live in a state that does a visual inspection then you will either need to put on "cat-looking" resonators or just gut them.

If not, then weld in a pipe or get some long tubes and redo the rest of the exhaust how you want it.

On the flip side.
Yes it will cause the SES light to come on.
HOWEVER....
Diablo predator programer can allow you to turn off the cat-less problem. Or you can get a custom tune, most of which will allow you to customize for all sorts of things that handheld programers wont. And Diablo is the only handheld that allows more indepth programming, unlike ones that only have "settings".

Custom tune is the best way to go, and most will do free updates or changes for your new mod's or whatever. Plus shipping of course.

I have an edge programer, found it pretty cheap and couldnt pass it up. So I dont get the option of taking the cats off.... but Im looking for another steal for the diablo programer so I can get them cats out of my truck.