Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

Headers in an aftermarket exhaust

Search this Thread

Old February 26th, 2008, 5:23 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Headers in an aftermarket exhaust

Ok, ive always been under the impression that if youre to turn a single pipe exhaust system into a true dual exhaust (no 1 into 2 mufflers like my old camaro ), are headers needed to achieve an exhaust system with 2 seperate pipes and mufflers or is the stock setup capable of providing me with that deep rumble...
Old February 26th, 2008, 7:37 PM
CF Active Member

Default RE: Headers in an aftermarket exhaust

if you want a real good rumble i would put the headers on, it would sound reall good, u could use the stock exhaust but it probably wouldn sound the same.
Old February 27th, 2008, 11:36 AM
CF Junior Member

i have straight pipes on my pick-up with no headers. the shop that did it just cut my pipe before the spot were the two pipes form into one then took it all the to the rear from there with two glass packs then 3inch tips. andi think it sounds awesome. but remember that mine is a 1990 so i did not have o2 sensors on my cats.so if you do it will set off your check enginelight. but there is also a way around that to with some dummy sensors. but i heard those are pretty spendy. hope this helps
Old February 27th, 2008, 12:59 PM
CF Active Member

Ok, 1) What have you done to the truck performance wise?
2) What kind of headers are you thinking of going with? ie: Long tube, short tube
3) How hard do you drive the thing?
Old February 27th, 2008, 2:18 PM
CF Beginner

well i dont drive it hard, maybe when i NEED to get a quick start but otherwise its driven responsibly, but im only 19 so my idea of responsible may be a little tainted, and as for what kind i have no idea, i just know what they look like not much else. I was thinkin that aswell Thommcbr right where it goes from 2 to one pipe cut it there and throw some seperate pipes and mufflers
Old February 27th, 2008, 3:14 PM
CF Junior Member

yeah it works i can try to take pictures of mine and put them on here for you to look at if you want just let me know.
Old February 27th, 2008, 3:43 PM
CF Active Member

Alright, well first of all don't go with long tube headers cause they are designed for 4500 rpm's roughly, and logically you dont drive it like that all the time, so thats a waste. Straight pipes are actually worse for power than your factory exhaust is. Trucks are designed for low end torque, so logically headers are are not the way to go. But, its your money, and headers do sound better. Bigger exhaust pipes allow more backpressure, and straight pipes allow even more backpressure than any type of muffler, period. If it's a stock 305 I wouldn't go any larger than 2". I've got a 454 big block and factory is one 3" pipe. For $94 dollars I had a flowmaster put on, sounds great, all I need. Like I said, up to you though. Ohh, and nice truck too. Set of cheap black shorty headers from summit racing are like $89 for a SBC, that would be something to look into.
Old February 27th, 2008, 4:57 PM
CF Beginner

I have used the Summit shorty headders before. They are actually Pace Setter and that black burns off. Other than that they added a nice sound to the Flowmaster exhaust I put on. I did not do a dual exhaust as I was told that would lower backpressure too much and hurt the performance. I simply added a CAI, shorty headder and cat back exhaust. opened that motor up alot.
Old February 27th, 2008, 8:28 PM
CF Beginner

yeah please this is gonna be my first exhaust job so itd be nice to have some photo examples thanks!
Old February 27th, 2008, 8:35 PM
CF Beginner

ok so... if i get dual exhaust incl mufflers and cat(s) with 2 or 2.5 inch pipes it will drop my performance andI like a lower rumble too so which is better for that?

Quick Reply: Headers in an aftermarket exhaust