Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

help please

Search this Thread

Old January 29th, 2011, 2:02 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

it should throw a code yes but my yota did the same thing and i couldnt figure it out and i replaed the o2 and it was fine didnt give me a code but it certainly did the trick
Old January 29th, 2011, 3:27 PM
CF Active Member

the biggest thing that im trying to figure out is why is blowing back through the throttle body, like when it dies you can hear the throttle body open and air coming back through it, i am going to replace all the major sensors llike the crankshaft position sensor, camshaft position sensor, MAP sensor, MAF sensor, EGR valve and the fuel pressure regulator, i added it all up on autozone.com and its like $230 worth of parts, but im not spending that kind o money, i just need to get to the junk yard, and i havent seen anyone with ssimiliar problems
Old January 29th, 2011, 5:37 PM
CF Beginner

Sounds like something is plugged ....but since you already checked the cad im stumped did you pinch your exhaust anywhere maybe
Old January 29th, 2011, 5:38 PM
CF Beginner

could also be like a timing belt maybe
Old January 29th, 2011, 5:41 PM
CF Active Member

i thought it was a clogged cat so at the moment i have the exhaust unbolted at the manifold, and i dont have a timing belt, i have a timing chain and id be able to here it if the chain was messed up
Old January 29th, 2011, 6:04 PM
CF Junior Member

Originally Posted by silverado13
i thought it was a clogged cat so at the moment i have the exhaust unbolted at the manifold, and i dont have a timing belt, i have a timing chain and id be able to here it if the chain was messed up
Well the blowback definitely sounds like you are out of time. But unless you have messed with it, I don't see how a chain jumped enough to do that. If you come to a dead end, it might be worth it to reset the timing chain anyway.
Old January 29th, 2011, 6:57 PM
CF Active Member

well im going to do a compression test soon and thatll tell me if its mechanically out of time, im getting spark, i just replaced the fuel pump,soi know its contained to close to the engine, im going to get a new plenum gasket and take the plenum off and clean thing while replacing all the little nick nacks around there, my theeory is that a few different sensors got shorted out, the proble i recently fixed was i had the engine 1 fuse popping anytime i put a new fuse in, and i was searching around the back of the engine and found that there was a single black wire coming out of the harness and it was going no where, i was experimenting and found that it grounds out when i touch it against the firewall but when i touch it against the head the fuse doesnt pop, so i bolted it to the block and it stopped the fuse from popping, so i wonder if some stuff got shorted out? so maybe a few sensors are bad and it all is adding up to crappy running
Old January 30th, 2011, 9:39 PM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I think you are going to be wasting money with the shotgun approach. I tend to think it is the Mass Air Flow sensor until further proven otherwise. I dont even see how the car would start with a disconnected MAF. How would the PCM calculate the A/F ratio without that input?
Old January 30th, 2011, 10:00 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by RacerX
I think you are going to be wasting money with the shotgun approach. I tend to think it is the Mass Air Flow sensor until further proven otherwise. I dont even see how the car would start with a disconnected MAF. How would the PCM calculate the A/F ratio without that input?
These trucks run rather well with the MAF unplugged, just runs to rich and very slightly rough. A lot of cars do not even have MAFs. Not really sure how the A/F is figured, but it does.

But like Racer said, replacing your MAF is the first thing you need to do, then the test the fuel like I mentioned twice already.
Old January 30th, 2011, 10:04 PM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If it is fuel injected and it lacks a MAF then it has to have a MAP sensor. There is no way to run a fuel program without it. Of course, some cars have both of them, but I thought those were mostly pretentious Euro-crap.

Quick Reply: help please