Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx
Old July 22nd, 2015, 6:44 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
Print Wikipost

How many miles can one expect from a Silverado?

Search this Thread

Old December 10th, 2007, 7:49 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How many miles can one expect from a Silverado?

I purchased a new2000 Silverado, 2WD, 4.8L, V8 seven years ago. It now has 100,000 miles and I have always been very good about therecommended maintenence based on miles / driving conditions, etc. Other than a few cosmetic issues inside the cab, the vehicle still drives like the day I left theChevy dealer. "Like a rock..."

I am about to spend ~ $1500 to perform all recommended 100,000 mile maintenence recommendations.

My question is this: For a vehicle that has been maintined very well, does another 5 years (or 60,000 miles) seem reasonable for the Silverado?
Old December 11th, 2007, 7:55 AM
CF Junior Member

Default RE: How many miles can one expect from a Silverado?

I've heard of easy 200,000 miles getting racked up on these trucks with no problem. The engines hold out very well. The only concern is the transmissions. They need to be maintained religously especially if you tow or haul quite a bit. If you are concerned about it, keep your transmission filter and fluid replaced at the recomended intervals and don't beat on it. An additional transmission cooler never hurts either. Once mine is ready for its next filter and fluid change, Im going to add a remote transmission cooler.
Old December 11th, 2007, 12:31 PM
CF Junior Member

Thank you for your response. I am aware that just about any car (especially Chevy) can be kept running with the right amount of money, but when my8 year old tells me "I like your truckDaddy", Isay "Good, because you may be driving it!".

My goal is to make 12 years (or ~ 160,000) on the original engine with proper maintenance and anything else that is creeps up (water pump, alternator, etc...) as it happens.

My 100,000 service tune up today (at the shop) includes:

-replace drive belts
-replace plugs and wires
-fuel injector cleaning
-flush power steering fluid
-change rear differential fluid
-flush cooling system
-flush trasmission fluid/replace filter
-chasis lubrication
-replace PCV valve

The oil / filter havebeen changed (non-synthetic) every 3000. Air filter every 30,000, Fuel Filter 30,000. Brake fluid flushed every 50,000. Replaced water pump at 70,000. Tires rotated every 5,000 (on my second set of tires).

Any thing else you can think of?
Old December 11th, 2007, 1:04 PM
CF Junior Member

i've seen many Silverado's over 300,000 mi, and one getting close to 400,000. Love your truck and it will love you back. My truck has over 200,000 (a '94) and is still running perfectly. I had a scare with the transmission recently, but it ended up just being a sensor. Of course, it has small problems here and there, ya know wipers and alignment and a/c and the like, but as far as general operation, Like A Rock!
Old December 11th, 2007, 11:42 PM
CF Active Member

Like some people say(and I've witnessed it)
"Most chevys will run longer bad,than most other cars will even run".My 1992 4X4 k1500 has 185k on it and it still has the original engine and tranny.The tranny is still perfect and I tow trailers and haul stuff around all the time.The engine probably could use basic rebuild(I think its just starting to get a little tired...it's a 305 but she still kicks out quite a good amount of power)like rings and some gaskets.But she still runs strong.
Old December 12th, 2007, 7:20 AM
CF Junior Member

Thanks for the info. I am very encouraged from what I have been reading, especially since we need to keep this vehicle as long as possible. We just traded in our 1995 Honda Civic (140,000) for a Honda Pilot (my wife's new soccer mom car) and I feel it could have gone much longer. However, our family really needed a larger vehicle to cart around our quickly sprouting boys.

Thanks again and I will keep y'all posted when my truck hits200,000!
Old December 12th, 2007, 7:34 AM
CF Junior Member

I loved the older 700R4s and so on. My 91' went 130K and it still drove like new. I have a 99' now. I am afraid of the transmission as I have heard alot of bad things about them. I've heard good things too, don't get me wrong. I plan on taking care of my truck too. I just worry about the longevity of this one compare to my last truck. (Not to mention its a little more expensive to maintain or Lord forbid, replace).
Old December 12th, 2007, 5:31 PM
CF Junior Member

Wow,this is all great information.After reading more and more posts that begin with "My02 Silverado that has 176K ....", I almost feel silly for asking that question. [8D]

Thanks again!
Old January 6th, 2008, 1:38 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

my pops has a 97 silverado... 75000 miles on his current set of tires and that baby still runs. has around 115000 miles on it. its all bone stock compared to my 98 silverado with a few mods. my dads truck pulls a 19 foot baja islander every weekend in the summer. im pissed that he has posi rear end and i dont... but oh well. he replaced the head gasket when he went to start it and it made a nice kaboom sound and a piece of the gasket shot up and dented the hood just after it got re-painted when the shop dropped it(idiot) and re-painted it. oil is changed (non-synthetic) at 3000 miles like me(chip off the ol block) he and i changed the plugs and i changed his filter... he got his a/c compressor cleaned as it made a high pitched noise and only got louder as the revs went up. now see im 18 and when i got my license to kill er drive... i drove his truck. and you know how i learned he has posi, BURNOUTS!!! he doesnt know that... but that baby stood up to my bull spit and it still runs great. god the darn thing is almost blemish free besides a dent in bumper from backing into trailer, dent in hood from gasket mishap, and no scratches. one blemish but that just needs a compound and good elbow grease. but yea... these trucks will last a lifetime. i told my dad im never leaving my baby. ill replace the engine and build it up before i hand the key over to a stranger(sorry). my kid will take it(maybe) lol.
Old January 7th, 2008, 12:47 PM
CF Junior Member

my friend has a 99 silverado with 215,000 miles thats alot i would think and that thing is still going strong...and he didnt really take care of it so yours should go for longer

Quick Reply: How many miles can one expect from a Silverado?