Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Hydrogen

Search this Thread

Old March 29th, 2008, 6:28 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Hydrogen

There is a very iteresting thread in off topic now about burning hydrogen from water to run your car/truck on. Anyone in here have any experience with that?
Old March 31st, 2008, 9:56 AM
CF Active Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Hydrogen

I was watching a show on that (a while back) and right now the technology to get enough hydrogen out to run in a combustion engine takes ALOT more engery to get the hydrogen then its worth (like $$$ to get H2 from H20 from electricity wouldn't be worth it) I'm not sure about the engine mod's, but you could easily extra hydrogen from water in your house with a decent set up, just got be careful of explosions.
Old March 31st, 2008, 9:59 AM
CF Active Member

and by "extra" hydrogen, i mean extract hydrogen
Old March 31st, 2008, 10:28 AM
CF Senior Member

To use an engine-powered device togenerate enough hydrogen out to fully powerthat sameengine is not possible.But you don't have to do that. Youcanuse an engine-powered device togenerateplenty ofhydrogen/oxygen gas to boost the efficiency of an engine to save money.The more miles you drive and the more fuel costs go up, the more you save. People are doing that now.

It does bother me though that some of the kits or plans out there have people making hydrogen in Mason jars under the hood of their car or truck. Doesn't seem to be the safest approach.
Old March 31st, 2008, 12:14 PM
CF Active Member

You might want to also look into butenol (butyl alcohol). Right now its about $3.80 or so per gallon, but I believe you can run something to the effect of 50/50 mix butyl with pump gas and get more HP and mileage (some people claim 100% replacement if I remember correctly). ...According to wikipedia (so take thatat facevalue)you can run 85% butyl in your engine without modifying it unlike ethanol. The energy of 1 gal of butanol is about 92-95% of gasoline, however, several people claim it gets better mileage despite the lower power. So I dont know, I wouldnt just throw it into a new engine, lol, maybe a project car though.
Old March 31st, 2008, 2:35 PM
CF Senior Member

Yeah, I know with hydrogen it is pretty much impossible to go 100% but as an additive from what I can see it is very do-able to greatly improve your mileage and help the environment at the same time.
Ron- The mason jar thing does bother me too but I have been looking into clear plastic instead.
AX- Do you have a link to more info on butenol as a fuel? Have either of you looked into fuel separation?
There seems to be a real lot of progress in this field right now. Im sort of an enviromentalist so if you can save money as well as reduce emissions at the same time I think its a win win.
Old March 31st, 2008, 2:42 PM
CF Monarch

Received 26 Likes on 9 Posts

I think you may want to look into a pre-made combination system. Part gas, part hydrogen, with electricity powering the hydrogen system.
Old March 31st, 2008, 2:56 PM
CF Senior Member

Euro- Thats what is out there, however there are many differences once you start looking into them. Some come complete, others are directions for you to make your own. There are even some that do not involve hydrogen but rather sparate the fule and re-inject it as a gas thru your intake. It's very interesting.
Old March 31st, 2008, 4:00 PM
Super Moderator

ehhget, Just as a warning, I read the book "run your car on water" and have been doing parts pricing and to go with the parts that they reccomend would cost around $1000.
Old April 1st, 2008, 10:41 AM
CF Active Member

Ehhget, heres the first site I ran into a while back: http://www.butanol.com/
BP and Du Pont are working on making a butanol fuel mixture for cars that burns cleaner (It contains alot of carbon due to the high plant usage.) But its made from the same crops as ethanol and is less corrosive, so any distilling/pumping/barges/shipping containers used for ethanol can be used for butanol AND the US is the largest producer of Butyl... but OPEC doesnt like it for obvious reasons. Also aparently, due to the high carbon content, during fermentation, butanol as well as hydrogen is produced, thats how it gets more power, as well as combusting more than gas in fuel:air ratios.
Here's DuPont and BP: http://www.bp.com/liveassets/bp_inte...heet_jun06.pdf
Scroll down to "Butanol 101" http://www.autobloggreen.com/2006/12...er-white-meat/

and HOPEFULLY with BP and Dupont making butanol, the price will drop below gas... that should get you started though. And it is "green" persay despite the high carbon content, since it usually produced strictly from recoupable biomass (corn or beets generally due to their high sugar content)

Quick Reply: Hydrogen