Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

i need help!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old November 11th, 2010, 1:40 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default i need help!!!!!

I have a 1988 chevy half ton with a 350 ci v8, and its 4WD. My truck got stuck in four wheel drive. I had to get home so i drove on the road in 4W. half way home there was this smell of burnt grease, and the steering stiffened up and my left wheel made a grinding noise. it now shifts in and out of four wheel drive but the indicator light is still on, and it is freaking me out. i talked to a friend he said my automatic hubs might be locked, so what do i do?
Old November 11th, 2010, 2:30 PM
Super Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

when going out of 4wd.. i always unlock 4wd..back up a few feet then go.. something about the auto locking hubs they just dont unlock sometimes.. i do the same thing going into 4wd except put it in 4wd..then back up a lil.

also you might want to get under and see if you can turn your front drive shaft.. if it turns then that means the transfer case is out of 4wd and its something in the frontend..
Old November 23rd, 2010, 7:27 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

make sure your front diferential has gear oil in it. One time my 90 model was low and wouldn't go in or out of 4wd without trying it a lot. The wheel sounds like it is locking up maybe because the axle has a worn out boot and all the grease came out. Had this happen also. I think this model is like mine so hope it helps. good luck
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="if(typeof(jsCall)=='function'){jsCall();} else{setTimeout('jsCall()',500);}" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">