Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

I NEED HELP PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old April 15th, 2008, 9:26 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I NEED HELP PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have a 08 5.3 silverado crew cab. I have currentlymade the following upgrades K & N air intake system, Flowmaster Super 40 Exhaust and aDiablo Predator Programmer. Ihave notput the truck on a dyno, but I've been told it should be around 380 hp. Is this infocorrect.I am looking to make other upgrades and try to get around 650-700 hp. What do you recommend as my next upgrade(s), Turbo, nitrous?? Please help I do not know a great deal about truck performance but a hugeaddict on the issue.

Thanks,

Heath
Old April 16th, 2008, 12:52 PM
CF Active Member

Default RE: I NEED HELP PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!

Are you sure you have the money to make 700hp out of a brand new, under warranty, truck?? And why in the hell would you buy a brand new, under warranty, truck, to make 700 hp?? Is this a joke?
Old April 16th, 2008, 12:57 PM
CF Active Member

I would venture a guess that you're infact under 380, as the 5.3l is listed by GM as having 315 hp, the only thing I could find right away on the predator as far as dyno results go is 20-30 HP for trucks/suvs so using those numbers, you'd have around 345 max with the K&N and Exhaust, and I doubt the K&N and exhaust is pulling 35 extra HP maybe 20-25. Then again, I know GM used to underrate engine performance to easy insurance cost to the consumer, not sure if thats the case anymore. Either way, you're probably pretty close to 380
Old April 16th, 2008, 1:00 PM
CF Active Member

jmack, I agree, if I wanted a 600+ HP truck, id get a smooth running mid 80'sor 90's truck and save money for chip, super charger and nitrous, no reason to spend the extra $15-25K for new truck accessories if you just want a speed demon.
Old April 16th, 2008, 1:15 PM
CF Active Member

There ya go ax7221! Get a damn 1990 454SS, pull the TBI system off, go to my favorite site enginekits.com, get a good set of aluminum heads for about $1200 complete and an edelbrock rpm air-gap intake, holly 850 double pumper, and put a decent cam in it. That'll get ya going at around 500hp or more, and you'll spend a whole lot less.Plus it comes with the TH400 tranny and will handle the extra HP very well.

And yea GM DID underrate their motors, and it was mainly their older big blocks. Like the LS6 in the chevelles and vettes were rated at like 440hp roughly, but dynoed at like 550hp, stock. I don't think they underrate anymore though.
Old April 17th, 2008, 2:45 PM
CF Junior Member

to make that much horse power your gonna need to tear the engine down bore it and stroke it, get the guy who is doing the work to find a set of heads, cam crank. oh get about 10 grand set aside cuz its going to be expensive. that much power is close to what todays stock cars in the sprint cup run. oh and not to mention you will have to void any kind of warranty. oh ya get another 5 grand or so set aside for a transmission maybe another grand for diff work oh and build a new transfer case if its four wheel drive. oh and have a huge tab with the credit company for fuel. like the others have said find a truck thats older and build it up. its not worth voiding the warranty and all. sorry to be a downer but hey if you got the cash then go down and talk to an engine shop and ask them cuz you will need to do some machining to do it.
Old April 18th, 2008, 7:06 AM
CF Active Member

$10,000 would probably be just a start too with a brand new truck. If for some crazy reason your serious about it, your best bet would be to twin turbo it, most likely. And yes bore it and stroke it and all that good head work as well. I know a guy around where I live in Charlotte who has his own shop and does custom computer tunes and full chasis dynos. He's got a SS trailblazer and heTwin Turboed it. I think he's making a little over 500hp. We're not telling you it's impossible, just very expensive. Plus it's a truck, so your gonna have to put a lot into the suspension to even get it to attempt to hook up.
Old April 19th, 2008, 11:53 AM
CF Active Member

i say go for it and put some video up of u loighting up those tires
Old April 19th, 2008, 4:15 PM
CF Beginner

Thanks so much for the info.... Sounds like i need to just slow down andenjoy my new ride for the next 5 years, then go crazy!!! I will ad some pics next week of my new ride, I personally feel that it looks very good on the exterior.
Old April 19th, 2008, 4:36 PM
CF Junior Member

that would be perfect. definantly post some pics, then ya have lots of fun after the warrenty is done

Quick Reply: I NEED HELP PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!