Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

k n n cold air

Search this Thread

Old March 6th, 2008, 1:48 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default k n n cold air

ya i have 07 new body silverado 4.8i was thinking about geting a kn cold air for it im sure someone has one on theres but i was wondering what kinda gain you got out of it such hp and did you get any beeter fuel milage one of my buddys says he had beeter luck just putting the replacent filter and it was better he had the 5.3 but hasanyone had this problem let me what you thnik i should do
Old May 3rd, 2008, 11:21 AM
CF Beginner

Default RE: k n n cold air

I'm not sure how it would work out on your truck. I did alot of research on intakes for My 07 Impala and found one on ebay motors.. I did not get the K&N and went with a generic brand.. this work better than name brand, I think, because if you thing about it, the end cap on the K&N is a flat metal disc, as some of the generic have a concave filter on the end cap to increase more air flow.. Also you will be looking to spend about $300 on K&N when you can get one from ebay sometimes less than $100. How much gas do you have to save to make up the differance?? On the 07's you will not like it the first few 100 miles or so because the computer has programed itself the way you drive and the equipment it has. It will re-learn everything again.. I have seen about 3.5 MPG increase so far.. My car is still in the learning mode as well. I don't know about the horse power yet, but it does sound nice..
Hope this helps.
Old June 4th, 2008, 8:30 PM
Banned

ORIGINAL: techdiver33

I'm not sure how it would work out on your truck. I did alot of research on intakes for My 07 Impala and found one on ebay motors.. I did not get the K&N and went with a generic brand.. this work better than name brand, I think, because if you thing about it, the end cap on the K&N is a flat metal disc, as some of the generic have a concave filter on the end cap to increase more air flow.. Also you will be looking to spend about $300 on K&N when you can get one from ebay sometimes less than $100. How much gas do you have to save to make up the differance?? On the 07's you will not like it the first few 100 miles or so because the computer has programed itself the way you drive and the equipment it has. It will re-learn everything again.. I have seen about 3.5 MPG increase so far.. My car is still in the learning mode as well. I don't know about the horse power yet, but it does sound nice..
Hope this helps.
Come to think of it. You are right man. It's just sad that I already bought K&N CAI from Autopartswarehouse.com before I can read your post regarding this. I guess I am just brand conscious when it comes to stuff like these. Anyways nice advice man, next time I'll be wiser.
Old June 5th, 2008, 12:33 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

so you are right in one way about gas saving to make up for the difference and all but heres my question. the generic kit you purchased came with what? im guessing either all new tube that rids the stock bulky airbox and tubes or it utilizes the stock tube that goes over the throttle body and u use the kit after that. well in any case yes you save money by using a generic brand but u know using the stock box that connects to the throttle body is smaller than a new and bigger one. also, the filters are another story. did your kit come with a filter? who makes it? you really think a kit thats generic will test their filters? it will look like a better filter but probably and does let more dust particles and bad things get to your intake rather than a tested filter like K&N or S&B or whatever. you also look at the inside of the filter for any type of air flow restrictions. like in the filter, is there concave ribs in the molding that will make air move over it rather than a flat surface? those also are what make the system more worthy or less. theres a site that sells the bracketry and seals for cold air kits and you jus buy a good tested filter. if i were you, i would definately see who makes your filter. if its a generic then use it for a coffee maker and get a solid tested filter otherwise your inhaling what the filter was there in the first place to stop from getting to the engine. i own a K&N on my 98 silverado 350 sb. i notice a huge difference in throttle response, shift response and fuel. when i gotta pass a car, my truck dont slam into a lower gear and rev to top rpms, it stays where it is mostly and i pass and save the motor and gas. i guess that meant i got a lil more torque in lower range rpm then too. so there you go. hope it helps. dont wanna hear your engine died from bad filter.
cam
Old June 30th, 2008, 2:06 PM
CF Beginner

i would say you would get a little better hp and gas milage. it would def be better for you in the long run
Old June 30th, 2008, 5:42 PM
CF Junior Member

Well said cams. I couldn't agree with you more. You get what you pay for.