Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Old August 10th, 2015, 6:37 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Transmission Guides
Print Wikipost

Loud clunk in driveline, 2007 Silverado

Old February 5th, 2011, 5:14 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Loud clunk in driveline, 2007 Silverado

I am new to the foum, and have a 2007 Silverado (new body style) Crew Cab "Texas Edition" 2WD LT2 5.3 liter with 40000 miles. I am having a problem with a loud clunking noise coming from the driveline. In a nutshell, when I come to a complete stop, I hear / feel a loud clunk coming from the rear end, as if the transmission is engaging abruptly. It will occur while stopped or when starting from a dead stop, and it will do this about 10% of the time. I am afraid that the dealer might not be able to duplicate the condition if I take it to them. Has anyone here heard of this problem?
Old February 5th, 2011, 7:54 PM
CF Beginner

Default Clunk

Not sure about what exactly is causing it but I have a 2007 Silverado nbs crew 4x4 Vortec and I hear a thump when stopping or shortly after a stop. Not all the time but sometimes. I have heard that it may be torque converter and normal. Sorry no answer but I thought it might help to let you know that, if we are hearing the same thing, there are others out there.
Old February 5th, 2011, 11:05 PM
CF Beginner

Sounds like the dreaded "Clunk" our trucks are notorious for this condition. You need to remove the driveshaft and clean and grease the splines on the yoke that slips into the transmission. It should cure your problem. The splines get dry and it will cause a "clunk" when you come to a stop and sometimes you feel it on take off.
Old February 6th, 2011, 9:59 AM
CF Junior Member

My '04 Silverado had the same issue. I thought it was a serious transmission problem. Greased the spline like was mentioned, problem went away. It seems to be a routine maint. thing, I had to re-do mine after about a year or so. Hope it fixes your problem.
Old February 6th, 2011, 12:25 PM
CF Beginner

Thanks for the tips. I have read about cleaning an re-greasing the spilnes in the past, but was unsure if it was really the fix I needed. I purchased the extended GM warranty when it was new, will GM cover this under warranty?
Old February 6th, 2011, 12:41 PM
CF Junior Member

I doubt it. Nothings broke, just needs lube. Bad design or something. "Normal maint."? Good luck with the warranty!
Old February 6th, 2011, 1:46 PM
CF Beginner

I had read there was a TSB out for an upgraded yoke, I don't have the number of it. But there was supposedly a special coated yoke that they could install that would help. I just never wanted to deal with the hassle of taking it in so I grease the thing from time to time.
Old February 7th, 2011, 10:54 AM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

jnichols495, I would suggest speaking with your dealership to see if you may be covered for this type of fix under the 5 year 100,000 mile powertrain warranty. I did look over the warranty coverage and it looks like you should be covered for a fix like this but for the final say in the matter I would, again, suggest you speak with your dealership. I hope that helps you and if you run into any other issues feel free to contact me.

Jeff Morris, Chevrolet Customer Service
Old March 13th, 2011, 9:49 PM
CF Beginner

Well, I spoke with my local Chevy dealer (Palm Chevrolet in Gainesville, FL) and while they were aware of the issue, it would not be covered under warranty. So, I removed the four 11mm bolts holding the rear u-joint to the rear yoke, removed the very long (but very light) aluminum drive shaft, cleaned and greased the splines and re-installed the driveshaft. After two weeks of in town driving, the clunking is gone. While I am glad that I no longer have to live with this very annoying issue, I am more that disappointed in the lack of customer service I have received from Chevrolet. Knowing that I paid extra for the extended warranty, and knowing that they are aware of this problem, I can't help but feel cheated by them. So much for my over 35 years of loyal GM ownership. Perhaps a new Toyota is in my immediate future after all.
Old September 20th, 2012, 7:21 PM
CF Beginner

Hi there! I just bought a 2011 silverado 1500, 5.3 lt. Its a automatic tranny with a manual 6 speed (touch of a button). I heard the same clunking kicking motion coming from the back. At one point of time, it was coming from beneat me(under between passger and driver seat). Brought it back to dealler to be charge 117.65 for a miss diagnose. Just did first oil change and was told to bring it back to gm asap. At a different Gm place got told that yoke is mangle and were its connecting to transfer case is grease everywhere arround shaft. Warranty is covering it , but the issue will always resurface because according to Gm its normal for the kicking motion. Belleive it Gm as never fixt that problem and if I would of known would of never buy a Siverado crap. Dam I wish they of told me that before I signed the contract.
Oh well, my next truck surely wont be A LEMON FROM GM

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Loud clunk in driveline, 2007 Silverado