Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Magnaflow?

Search this Thread

Old March 15th, 2011, 6:28 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Magnaflow?

I've heard good things about magnaflow hi-flow cats, but for $70 less I could just get a glass pack...all I'm trying to do is gain a mpg or 2 to offset my bigger tires. Is that realistic? For a 5.7 vortec I've heard the best thing to do for power is to let the exhaust breathe a little better, so I guess what I'm asking is what the best way to do that is (without spending $400+ for a full setup) I dont mean to be that guy that just asks vague questions, but I've never dabbled in exhaust so I'm looking for a starting point. Thanks!!
Old March 15th, 2011, 7:33 PM
CF Active Member

A high flow cat is a higher flowing aftermarket catalytic converter. A glasspack is a thru design muffler. These are two totally different items in the exhaust system. Without going for a mandrel bent cat back system, I'm not sure you will get your mpg's your after, but I've been wrong before and I could be this time. Good luck to ya..
Old March 16th, 2011, 7:55 PM
CF Active Member

It is my experience that when you free up the exhaust, you usually use more gas. Here is my thought process.

Think of the engine as a large air pump. The pistons suck air in through the intake and push air out through the exhaust. Now, that NASTY OLD COMPUTER uses sensors to ensure the air to fuel ratio stays within the preset parameters. Thus if you free up the exhaust, your engine will move more air than before. Thus your computer will add more fuel into the combustion chamber to ensure the proper air/fuel ratio. Thus the more gas.

Where people believe they can save gas is that theoretically when you free up the exhaust / intake, your engine should not have to work so hard to do what it did before. So you don't have to push the gas pedal down so far to do the same thing you did before. IE if it took you 25% throttle to go 70 mph, it may only take 20% throttle to go that same speed. The problem is that the new exhaust sounds SOOO SWEET, we push the gas pedal down to hear it. So when you previously only used 25% throttle to accelerate up to speed, you may now use 50% throttle to accelerate just to hear that new exhaust. So what ever fuel gains you might have gotten will be mitigated by the inadvertent excessive gas pedal / exhaust sound love.

Hope this helps

Eric
Old March 19th, 2011, 7:07 PM
CF Junior Member

Sweet, thanks for the responses!