Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Mexican truck

Search this Thread

Old December 1st, 2009, 1:21 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mexican truck

I have a 2000 Silverado 2500 I bought in southern Mexico. The vin says it is a 1/2 ton and it has a 5.7. It has many things different like coil front springs. The truck has a few issues I am trying to sort through even with a serious parts shortage. I had the fuel punp replaced and the fuel gauge worked part time befodre the replacement and they cjould not get it to work at all with the new pump. The float level is working. There are only two wires for the gauge and it registers empty no matter how they are hooked up. Is there a fuse some where? The other issue is a whine from the transmission, the whine revs along with the engine. Is this no big deal or impending doom? I am greatfull for any help or information.
Old December 1st, 2009, 2:04 PM
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by Bushrat
I have a 2000 Silverado 2500 I bought in southern Mexico. The vin says it is a 1/2 ton and it has a 5.7. It has many things different like coil front springs. The truck has a few issues I am trying to sort through even with a serious parts shortage. I had the fuel punp replaced and the fuel gauge worked part time befodre the replacement and they cjould not get it to work at all with the new pump. The float level is working. There are only two wires for the gauge and it registers empty no matter how they are hooked up. Is there a fuse some where? The other issue is a whine from the transmission, the whine revs along with the engine. Is this no big deal or impending doom? I am greatfull for any help or information.
the float could still need some attention,i dont think there is a fuse for it though.As for the whining from the tranny my opinion would be the pump in the tranny? if it is for sure coming from the tranny though....does it shift smooth still @ all the right intervals?and how does the fluid look and smell?

red....oh and welcome to the chevy forum
Old December 1st, 2009, 5:55 PM
CF Beginner

Default thanks

The transmission shifts great and there seems to be no issues, just the whine. The float wires shows a change in resistance when I checked, the mechanic couldn't make them works and the sfloat was new with the pump. I will check the fluid tomorrow
Old December 2nd, 2009, 12:29 AM
CF Active Member

If you unhook the fuel gauge wires, the gauge in the dash should go way past full, if it does not move with the sender disconnected its either a wire problem, or - most likely the gauge itself is bad.
I have never in my life heard of a 1/2 ton 2500. something seems fishy about that.
Old December 2nd, 2009, 11:46 AM
CF Beginner

Default your right

When I bought this truck I believed it was a light duty 3/4 ton the kind with six lug wheels. It looks like and rides like 3/4 ton suspension. The vin says 1/2 ton. This truck was made in the US for sale in Mexico. It is possible the silverado emblems and 2500 emblems were added on later but it rides like a 3/4. The front springs are coils and the dealers in the states say 2000 trucks like that all had tortion bars. it is an odd duck, but solid, I am just trying to run down some small gremlens.
Old December 2nd, 2009, 11:52 AM
Super Moderator

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Hey Bushrat,

Welcome to the Chevy Forums.

Couldn't hurt to change that transmission filter, see if the whine doesn't abate, somewhat.
Old December 3rd, 2009, 4:14 PM
Super Moderator
Ride of the Month
May 2009

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The 2000 2wd Silverado has front coil springs, the 4wd have torsion bars.
Old February 6th, 2010, 10:21 AM
CF Beginner

yes...the whining noise may be the fuel pump located under the bed...mine has been whining since I bought mine and the fuel pump works fine.

My problem is that my computer keeps giving me false readings. It says my seat belt is NOT buckled when it is....when the A/C is on (mostly) it says "LOW COOLANT" but lately even with the heat on if it sets idle (like at one of those long stop lights) I get the LOW COOLANT...other than that my 2000 Silverado is great. It is 10 years old and only has 125,000 miles on it