Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

need help with my radio

Search this Thread

Old September 28th, 2007, 4:23 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need help with my radio

I have a stock radio and stock speakers on a 2007 silverado (new body style) I bought a navigation dvd radio to put in it...I thought that I could take it to the dealer and they could use the tech2 to program it and go...the radio works but the volume will not work it stays low and you cant turn it up at all ...I have controls on the steering wheel they wont work either.....they said I needed to have a Bose amp to make the volume work...part number on the radio is 15940102...can someone help me or should I just sell the radio....
Old September 28th, 2007, 5:07 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default RE: need help with my radio

Well the nav uses the bose stereo..so may be some truth to what they say...not an electronics expert.......I see tons of these posts with people putting aftermarket or even GM nav radios in there new 07 Tahoes, silverados...why not just get it factory...???
Old September 28th, 2007, 5:34 PM
CF Beginner

thanks but I bought the truck off the lot like it is new ...I 'am just trying to get some help to see if anyones ran in to the same problem...on a silverado with out the Bose system and if there is a way to bypass it...thanks
Old September 28th, 2007, 6:00 PM
CF Beginner

You have two options; one is you can buy all of the components for the Bose system, or the other is that you can run aftermarket amps using the NAV system outputs at line level and boosting the signal to your factory speakers.

The dealership is being honest with you (95% sure). The GM Nav system requires Bose for the volume (output) to function properly. Without it you would have to go into aftermarket(AM) amplifiers to still get decent volume. To do that, you can purchase a low-line converter to use the output from the NAV unit to go into the AM amps, then from the AM amps to the speakers. It is something that is fairly easy provided you buy the right AM equipment.