Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Need input from "certain" 2014/2015 owners

Search this Thread

Old December 29th, 2014, 5:54 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need input from "certain" 2014/2015 owners

Hi, all.

I've had a variety of vehicles over the last 20 years, most of them SUVs or trucks. I've never owned a Chevy, though, and I'm trying to gather some input from those of you that might be like me.

I tend to go through vehicles somewhat quicker than most because I am on the road all the time for work. Higher miles means I devalue them quickly and end up not holding on to them for more than about two years. I've pretty much reached the point that I'm COMPLETELY done with Ford (four vehicles in the last two years between my wife and myself, three of them used, and two of those with SIGNIFICANT issues to be dealt with because of Ford's poor quality overall).

As I've already said, I drive a lot. So, being comfortable behind the wheel is important to me, and there are a few "must haves" for me. I do a lot of conference calls and meetings via phone, and a good chunk of those are in the car. So, a very good quality Bluetooth system is imperative. Leather seats is something that I like though I personally couldn't care less about whether or not they're heated. Cooled seats are very nice for the longer trips that I take.

I'm looking at possibly a leftover 2014 or maybe a 2015 LTZ crew cab, but I'd like to get some comparative input on how the Silverado really compares to other brands out there.

If you own a 2014 or 2015 (preferably an LTZ, possibly higher mileage logged so far too), AND you have also owned or spent a reasonable amount of time in a current generation Tundra or Ford (don't care about RAM as I won't own anything from Fiat ever), I would appreciate hearing from you about things like this:

- How does the ease of use of the Navigation compare? How accurate ar the maps? Does the system have things like phone numbers to go with points of interest so that you can CALL that restaurant you just found to make a reservation? How easy is address input via voice? Is it "1 Elm St, Springfield, OH" and you're done, or are there 30 prompts to respond to? Toyota has the hands-down worst NAVI I've ever had the mispleasure of owning, and Ford is a VERY close second with both the original Sync and the new MyFordTouch garbage.
- How well does the Bluetooth work? Ease of pairing, reliability of initial connection, sound quality, etc.
- How well do the steering wheel controls work to control an iPod? Any sound issues with the USB connection (don't care about Bluetooth for this part)?
- How does the road noise level compare to other vehicles? I actually found my previous 2008 Acura MDX to be extremely quiet compared to other vehicles, including many sedans.
- What features do you miss having from other vehicles? I had three different vehicles with DVD Audio sound systems. The quality of the system was excellent overall, and the surround sound was pretty cool to have. Not a deal-breaker to have given it up, though.
- What features do you have in other vehicles that either are not offered in the Silverado or you didn't opt for and are sorry you gave it up?
- How are you faring for mileage with the EcoTec 5.3L? How many miles have you logged, and what sort of reliability have you found?

I've owned Acuras, Hondas, Toyotas, Fords, a Dodge (never again), Jeep... The Honda/Acura navigation and bluetooth systems are leaps and bounds ahead of everything else I've owned or used (their support for waypoints, the integration of Maps and Yellow Pages information, the screen image quality, and the general ease of use via voice). Toyota is complete junk and lacks functionality and features across the board (on a 2.5 hour trip on the highway back to my home, the Navigation system was able to find ONE McDonald's and ONE Subway when I attempted to locate restaurants along my route, and every single part of an address must be spoken after the proper response when inputting by voice - it takes three minutes to enter "1 Elm St, Springfield, OH" if you know the shortcut key press locations).
Old December 29th, 2014, 8:14 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Never mind... I found the nice, lengthy thread about all of the 2014/2015 owners that are having issues with vibrations in the truck at faster / highway speeds. Since there's no understanding of the issue (let alone a fix), no Silverado / Sierra for me. There's absolutely no way I would tolerate that.