Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

New Silverado Owner - Front End Alignment ?

Search this Thread

Old December 6th, 2006, 11:33 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Silverado Owner - Front End Alignment ?

Howdy folks...plenty cold and snowy up here in the U.P.

I am the proud owner of a 2007 1/2 ton Z71 ext. cab 4x4 with a 5 3/4' box (06 body style...not the new one) w/4000 K in miles on it. It is a tough looking truck but it seems I have a few steering issues and I was looking for some help.

I spend quite a bit of time on dirt/gravel roads and in the woods...not banging the truck around but definitely on rough terrain.

The problem I have is on pavement...it seems that the truck likes to really go with the crown of the road and never really drives totally straight and the steering wheel has loosened a bit. I just had an aligment done yesterday and the caster was way off. They asked me if I hit something. Here are the before and after numbers:

Before: Caster L = 2.51 R= 2.88
Camber L = -.05 R = -.07
Toe L = -.03 R= .02 Total = -.01

After: Caster L = 3.64 R = 4.16
Camber L = .41 R = .33
Toe L = .04 R = .06 Total = .10

Since the aligment, the steering wheel doesn't feel so loose and is much tighter. However, the truck still seems to drift slighty to one side or the other and only sometimes (on a very flat even brand new road) drive straight. I have checked the tire pressure and the shop checked the front end and everything is tight and good. I can't imagine any radial pull as the tires are brand new and didn't do this during the break in period.

Any thoughts regarding the alignment...do the specs look right? Do I need to just get used to driving a bigger truck...am I expecting to much. This is my first silverado...I previously had a ford ranger and toyota tundra?

Any thoughts or comments would be greatly appreciated.