Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

P0443 Troubleshooting

Search this Thread

Old September 9th, 2014, 7:04 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default P0443 Troubleshooting

Hey guys! New to the site, probably become a regular though. I have a 2002 Chevy Silverado 1500, small V8 4X4. Anyway, I brought it in for inspection and it failed on the dreaded EVAP code P0443. Garage tells me it's a bad (gunked up) purge valve solenoid, which an internet search corroborated. I have removed the unit and it seems to be working perfectly when 12V is introduced to it. I hooked the unit to a motorcycle battery and see/hear it operating each time it's energized by the motorcycle battery. I even tried blowing through it while it was closed and there is no leakage past the seals. It seems that when their is no 12V circuit at the valve it is in the open position. When the computer commands it on it completes the circuit via ground and commands the valve closed. So bench test wise the valve/solenoid seem to be functioning. My next move was to makes sure there wasn't a problem in the wiring. With the truck running I have 12v coming in on the solenoid feed but no ground signal. I then traced the ground(white wire back to the under hood fuse block. Lifted out the block to access the wiring harness connector underneath. I then disconnected the white wire and with the key on, introduced ground via the negative battery terminal. I could here the valve clicking obediently. I then checked for continuity from the male side of the harness connector to the actual computer harness and it's good. At this point I feel I have eliminated everything but the computer right? I have disconnected the battery which cleared he SES light only to have it reappear about 50 miles later. It seems to me that my computer must be bad because the circuit is functional and the valve is functional. Am I missing something? I got to get this thing fixed, i'm running out of time for inspection.
Old September 9th, 2014, 7:06 PM
CF Beginner

By the way. I did make sure that the key was off and battery disconnected while messing with the computer harness.
Old September 9th, 2014, 9:24 PM
CF Beginner

Bueller??? I know this is probably a dead horse question but at least I have troubleshot it somewhat. Anybody who has been through this, please chime in and let me know your thoughts. I feel like it's the pcm but I don't want to waste 200 bucks if I'm overlooking something. I am leaving for vacation in three days and want to order whatever parts I'll need prior to leaving so they are here when I get back. Any and all thoughts would be great.
Old September 10th, 2014, 3:54 PM
CF Beginner

124 people have looked at this post and nobody has an opinion, thought or advice? Maybe I should check out another forum.
Old September 10th, 2014, 8:21 PM
CF Beginner

Screw y'all!!! This is bull. I came here for help from a community of chevy owners. I'm a member on many other forums and have never seen such a cold bunch. Many of you have looked at my post which I took time to write in a clear way and I haven't even received a welcome or anything. You guys suck!