Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

please help ... i need to get to work

Search this Thread

Old September 1st, 2011, 7:44 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

Ok, lets get through this. Won't crank as in dead battery? Cranks, won't start? What is it?
Old September 1st, 2011, 7:46 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kevinkpk
Try jump starting it
i tried to with a boom truck. All i got was the i hard CLICK at the solenoid.
Old September 1st, 2011, 7:54 PM
CF Beginner

it wont crank when i turn the ignition. but the silonoid will CLICK 1 time loadly ... i pulled the starter and it engages freely when off the truck .. i put a wrench and breaker bar on the motor and it turned freely

Last edited by herb farmer; September 1st, 2011 at 7:58 PM.
Old September 1st, 2011, 8:12 PM
CF Monarch

Sounds like the starter solenoid. Since I guess the engine turns, with the starter out dosen't mean it has enough umph to turn over the engine. Now with a jump start will it crank the engine over? You need to make sure your jumper connections are good, with that does the "boom truck" "boog down" when the battery jumpers are hooked to your truck?
Old September 1st, 2011, 8:24 PM
CF Beginner

[quote=kevinkpk;191241]Sounds like the starter solenoid. Since I guess the engine turns, with the starter out dosen't mean it has enough umph to turn over the engine. Now with a jump start will it crank the engine over? You need to make sure your jumper connections are good, with that does the "boom truck" "boog down" when the battery jumpers are hooked to your truck?[/quote.

No the bigger truck could not jump it. we just got the same large CLICK from the starter. The bigger truck did not boog down at all
Old September 1st, 2011, 8:27 PM
CF Monarch

[quote=herb farmer;191243]
Originally Posted by kevinkpk
Sounds like the starter solenoid. Since I guess the engine turns, with the starter out dosen't mean it has enough umph to turn over the engine. Now with a jump start will it crank the engine over? You need to make sure your jumper connections are good, with that does the "boom truck" "boog down" when the battery jumpers are hooked to your truck?[/quote.

No the bigger truck could not jump it. we just got the same large CLICK from the starter. The bigger truck did not boog down at all
You can call my cell, I'll pm it now
Old September 2nd, 2011, 7:20 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sometime we try to equate problems to what we just done and they are totally unrelated. It sounds like the solenoid could be bad. have someone turn the key and when the solenoid clicks take a heavy screwdriver and short across the two big bolts on the solenoid.
Old September 2nd, 2011, 9:52 AM
CF Monarch

He says the starter bench tested good, but I told him that dosen't mean anything. Since he can turn the engine over by hand (good thing) the starter isn't working, I also quizzed him about jump starting it. He tried that, said no change and was confident he had good connections.
Old September 3rd, 2011, 8:45 PM
CF Beginner

so this is how this worked out. i talked to kevinkpk and that was very much a good thing. then i got a new starter. installed it and got the same click. took back the new starter and took the old one to have a talk with the GM Lads. They told me some amps and volts to look for. Came back to the cabin and reinstalled the starter. my neighbor got there new volt meter and started taking readings. i look over and they have it on the +/- on the battery and the meter is smoking. the truck electrical goes dead. i go and try the ignition and it fires back up and cranks the engine. GHOST IN THE MACHINE? .. go figure
Old September 3rd, 2011, 9:30 PM
CF Beginner

As I was reading this all I could think of was hold-in windings of the starter solenoid.. when you turn the ignition key, the pull-in windings are energized, creating a magnetic field which pulls the plunger of the starter. This engages the pinion gear with the flywheel. The hold-in windings require less voltage, as their magnetic field is just holding the plunger in place while the engine cranks. So if the hold-in windings are open, you would hear the click of the plunger being pulled in but that's it. The starter itself could be ok I guess.

However I seen that you tried a new starter and it didn't work.. and then somehow it did work LoL funny..

Quick Reply: please help ... i need to get to work