Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

rough idle

Search this Thread

Old June 17th, 2009, 3:59 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rough idle

Hi, I'm new to the forum. I've got a 2007 Silverado 2wd, 4.8L v8. For the most part it rides great except that it has a consistently rough idle. It's not extreme by any means but at the same time it's definitely noticeable. I'm going to change the plugs this weekend to see if that makes a difference. But I read somewhere that this is not an uncommon problem with these engines and that GM is aware of it but has no fix. Does anyone know if this is true? Any other suggestions? Thanks
Old June 17th, 2009, 4:35 PM
CF Active Member

does it seem like more of a slight surge or a missifre? my 5.3L doesnt idle exactly smooth all the time. nothing really does.changing plugs most likely isnt gonna fix it. i wouldnt spend your money considering how much they cost. IMO i think its the fact that they have a pretty good sized cam lift and longer duration for stock and they just tend to not idle perfectly smooth.
Old June 17th, 2009, 5:18 PM
CF Beginner

I would say it feels more like a misfire, but once in a while I definitely also feel a slight surge as well. From what you say and from what I read on carcomplaints.com it sounds like it's most likely a manufacturing defect but in the end not a very serious one. Do you think it would it be worth while to clean the EGR valve? Thanks for the input
Old June 17th, 2009, 5:22 PM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i would clean the TB first. don't take many miles for them to carbon up. also while your at it, clean your maf while you have the air intake tube off. depending on your miles, 1-2 cans of Seafoam in your fuel tank and see if that helps..

good luck..
Old March 14th, 2012, 9:59 PM
CF Beginner

Did you solve the odd idle problem ? Thanx dalr