Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Rust/Holes in Exhaust Pipes

Search this Thread

Old April 26th, 2009, 6:48 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rust/Holes in Exhaust Pipes

Hey,

I just got a 1998 Chevy Silverado extended cab truck as a graduation present. It has dual pipes coming out of the back and they sound great! I was cleaning the truck today and noticed that there were some rust spots on the pipes so I got some steel wool and got what I could off. I also noticed there were several holes in the pipes as well. Most of them are small, but there is one pretty good sized hole as well. Is this dangerous?? I love the sound I have with the pipes, but if something needs to be fixed/changed out I need to know so I can do that with the graduation money I get. Is it expensive to fix? Would I have to replace the whole pipe(s)? Thanks for your help!

Thomas
Old April 26th, 2009, 6:55 PM
Super Moderator
ROTM Coordinator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Kinda sounds like they are corroding from the inside out. You will need new pipes very soon thats all I can say if thats the case.
Old April 26th, 2009, 6:56 PM
CF Beginner

About how much do pipes run, if I have to replace them?
Old April 26th, 2009, 7:40 PM
Super Moderator
ROTM Coordinator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dont know, are they stock parts or something someone made? I would have it looked at by a muffler shop or the Dealer to get a better opinion on what to repair.
Old April 26th, 2009, 7:42 PM
CF Beginner

I'm not quite sure...im going to say they're stock....and ill try and get it to a muffler shop this week to have it checked out...thanks!
Old April 28th, 2009, 12:16 PM
CF Monarch

Received 26 Likes on 9 Posts

If it sounds good, its probably not stock. But if your definition of "Good" is "Loud", then it could also be a pre-muffler exhaust leak.
Get it to a muffler shop and have them look at it. Sometimes if you have a hole in the pipe that was caused by bending the pipe too far, they can weld in a patch. In your case, you probably need a new exhaust system.
Old April 28th, 2009, 12:57 PM
CF Beginner

Well my dad and I looked at it, and it seems to be on the back end of the exhaust tip...so if it's just the tips that are rusting through that will be easy to replace..if in fact it is the pipes I guess I will have to replace the exhaust system...great lol
Old April 28th, 2009, 1:16 PM
CF Monarch

Received 26 Likes on 9 Posts

If its just the tip, then you can just chop them and weld on some new ones. Or take it to an exhaust shop and have them do it...
Old April 28th, 2009, 4:10 PM
CF Beginner

yeah I think we're gonna take it to a muffler shop within the next week or so and get it looked at....thanks for the help!
Old January 12th, 2010, 2:27 PM
CF Beginner

Default hey my exhaust shoots black ****

my exhaust shoots black **** also having strong carbon monoxide scent and the 1998 chevy suburban 5.7 vortec engine runs good has 198567 miles on it and sometimes it shakes or vibrates alot do low gas cause these shakes or do someone think my exhaust or catatilac converter is doing this is it common for exhaust to shoot black **** even when you rev the engine the **** shoots out more can someone help me please

Quick Reply: Rust/Holes in Exhaust Pipes