Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

silverado exhaust opinions??? help me decide

Search this Thread

Old February 22nd, 2012, 12:54 AM
CF Active Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the difference between a bullet and a piece of pipe is that a bullet is a perferated tube that has places for exhaust gases to go thus making a little more "backpreasure" than a normal pipe i dont think you willloose power if you have a single muffler to 2.5 inch tails if you realy want you can run 2.25 inch tails but i dont think you need to go that small exspecialy if you have stock cats
Old February 22nd, 2012, 10:51 AM
CF Junior Member

Originally Posted by chevy619
So from what your saying replacing the stock muffler with the bullet then running the why pipe out with 2.5" pipe will help cure this problem I am talking about? Although my buddy ran the same setup minus the bullet instead he just had a pipe and it was cauing his truck to run weird, loose power and even gas mileage? The fact that the bullet is basically a straight through pipe, not much more then a standard piece of pipe is why i ask if it will have similiar problems.
I don't know if it will cure anything but if you have a single 3" into a wye then you would not want to go bigger than 2.25" pipe. even that equals an area slightly larger than a 3" pipe. 2.5 would b too big.

velocity is the speed of the gasses moving through the pipe due to the restriction of the pipe size. smaller pipe faster velocity but if to small you will cut down the volume of gasses able to pass though.

scavenging is the effect created by the high moving gas creating a vacuum behind the exhaust pulse or when passing by the h pipe/x pipe there can be a vacuum created in the other pipe to help draw out exhaust from the combustiin chamber.
some engine cams are timed so the intake will open shortly before the exhaust closes during the exhaust stroke. this only works with a tuned scavenging exhaust to help draw fresh air into the engine before the cylinder even gets into the intake stroke. I don't know what the timing of these engines are but tis could b a reason why slighty opening the exhaust from stock can have negitive effects.

I know some of this was said but was not very cear
Old February 22nd, 2012, 11:13 AM
CF Junior Member

I personally would have a singe to dual since the exhaust will have to merge the split....dual to single to dual again....not sure hhow this will effect the exhaust pulse. I think dual from engine into dual cats into merging wye to a single in/out muffler to single back might be best or use a muffler dual in and single out depending on the flow pattern n the muffler..
Old February 22nd, 2012, 11:21 AM
CF Junior Member

Originally Posted by Cpb200
the difference between a bullet and a piece of pipe is that a bullet is a perferated tube that has places for exhaust gases to go thus making a little more "backpreasure" than a normal pipe i dont think you willloose power if you have a single muffler to 2.5 inch tails if you realy want you can run 2.25 inch tails but i dont think you need to go that small exspecialy if you have stock cats
te perf tube will add more turbulance to the gasses flowing through which will create a little more resistance but probubly nothing noticable.

I suppose the size of pipe would also depend on the length of the truck. the longer the run possibly the larger the pipe since it will create less resitance. I forget what the 5.7l has. for pipe sizing but wouldn't steer to much further away from the stock size
Old February 22nd, 2012, 4:20 PM
CF Senior Member

I have the flowmaster 10 series. I have one muffler that splits into two tips cowboy cocked out the back. I love it they sound really nice without the popping at high rpms. I am very happy with it. The only thing i would change is getting true duals. If you look on you tube at chevy flowmaster 10 series you'll hear what it sounds like and promise you wont be dissapointed.
Old February 22nd, 2012, 8:50 PM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Would I just be better off to get another style muffler, then i wont have to worry about it right? I know alot of people will say a flowmaster flows horrible and is sometimes worse then stock but in all realism are you even going to be able to tell the difference between a bullet and flowmaster? I like the sound of flowmasters on these trucks i just dont want to hurt performance either which is making my decision even harder. I understand the bullet would be louder then the flowmaster and i would like to run it but if its going to be a toss up on if its going to hurt or help i dont want to take the chance would rather get something that isnt going to harm anything.
Old February 22nd, 2012, 10:43 PM
CF Junior Member

Originally Posted by jgray152
I personally would have a singe to dual since the exhaust will have to merge the split....dual to single to dual again....not sure hhow this will effect the exhaust pulse. I think dual from engine into dual cats into merging wye to a single in/out muffler to single back might be best or use a muffler dual in and single out depending on the flow pattern n the muffler..
I made a typo I meant to say I personally would not want to have single to dual