Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx
Old July 22nd, 2015, 2:40 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Wheels and Tire
Print Wikipost

Spare tire access lock

Search this Thread

Old July 7th, 2010, 10:47 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spare tire access lock

We bought a used 2007 Silverado and found that someone had put the wrong lock plug in the access hole for the spare tire winch. The ignition key for the truck would not open the lock and the dealer didn't get any other keys. Turns out this thing is easy to get out. I don't think I will be giving anything away here since the tire thieves probably know this already. The lock plug has a spring loaded latch that sticks downward out of the plug. If you look under the bumper, there is a black plastic tube that holds the plug. There is a small drain hole in the plastic tube. If you drill a hole about 3/8" toward the bumper from the drain hole, you can use an ice pick to push in the latch and remove the plug. I drilled about a 3/16" hole but something like 1/4" would make it easier to see the latch. If you know anything about locks, you can take the cylinder out of the plug and remove any tumblers that don't match your key. The cylinder has five tumblers and I just took out the two that were wrong for my ignition key. I think any locksmith could easily rekey the cylinder to match your ignition key. Someone mentioned it cost them $35 to get this done. Maybe this will save you the expense of a dealer or locksmith visit if you can't get the access plug unlocked.
Old July 8th, 2010, 11:18 AM
Super Moderator

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Hi JRnTX,

Welcome to the Chevy Forum.

Once your rear bumper has been hit hard a time or two, it doesn't matter.

The tube will no longer line the jack handle up with the lowering mechanism anyway.(not something you want to find out the hard way; in the rain and dark, on the side of a distant highway, which is where all MY tires go flat)

I just ripped my tube out and trashed it, now I can line up the lowering mechanism with the jack handle by eye.

For dress purposes you may want to keep the lock and cover.(I did)
Old August 25th, 2012, 11:18 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

JRnTX, I have the same problem with my 2010 Silverado. Followed your instructions and did get the cylinder removed but at least on my 2010, the spring tab is a full 5/8 to 3/4" toward the bumper from the drain hole. Had to drill a 2nd 1/4" hole next to the first (first was at 3/8" toward bumper per your instructions) to find it and the tab was still offset toward the bumper a little more. All in all, got the lock out and sure enough, it is not set for my ignition key! Defective right from the day one. Back to the dealer again...