Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx
Old July 27th, 2015, 3:42 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Powertrain Guides
Print Wikipost

Starter sluggish when warm

Search this Thread

Old June 25th, 2011, 3:46 PM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Starter sluggish when warm

98 silverado, 5.7, starter spins fine when cold or cool. but slow when warm, only when warm or hot. Battery is good, had it tested two different places, and batt is good.. So the starter, is my guess. So should I replace the starter assy or just the solinold assy? Yes there is a heat sheild on the starter....
Old June 25th, 2011, 8:31 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i'm having the same problem with my 97 burb i'm going to check all the grounds first,my starter might be shot because of the crank postion sensor problems i had causing excessive ignition advance at start up it wrecked the ring gear on the flex plate

Sean
97 4x4 burb
Old June 25th, 2011, 8:46 PM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

Given the age of the vehicle I would consider replacing the ground and the starter cable to the battery. They may look in good shape but can be corroded internally.
Old June 26th, 2011, 10:15 AM
CF Senior Member

All of the above can be the culprit,plus I have seen this happen when a batt was too small. (Not enough amperage)
Old June 26th, 2011, 12:21 PM
CF Active Member

@ Old wrench..... understood.. last year I purchase a battery bigger that OEM.. the one I purchased is 950CCA
Old June 26th, 2011, 12:24 PM
CF Active Member

@ in2pro..... ok understood... inaddition would that also be a cause of what I stated the problem was.... as i noticed that when warm, yes sluggish to spin.. but if i make one attempt, then stop, and turn key again, the spin start is almost normal again... she will spin the engine well....
Old June 26th, 2011, 11:01 PM
CF Senior Member

That should be plenty big on the batt. if it is good. The fact that it corrects itself points me to connections. A worn starter wouldnt get better. If you have a volt meter connect it paralell with the various circuits then operate the starter and see if you have a voltage reading this will be the voltage drop or loss in that circuit.Dont forget the ground side.
Old July 3rd, 2011, 8:30 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

whet thru all my connections found the positive starter connection a little loose and cleaned all the grounds not very dirty to begin with and my starter has no heat shield that is on order see if that helps, the starter looks new but it could have taken a hit when i had the crank sensor failing and it was giving way to much ignition advance at start up and ripped up my flex plate

Sean

97 4x4 burb
Old July 3rd, 2011, 10:59 AM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by usmarine0905
@ in2pro..... ok understood... inaddition would that also be a cause of what I stated the problem was.... as i noticed that when warm, yes sluggish to spin.. but if i make one attempt, then stop, and turn key again, the spin start is almost normal again... she will spin the engine well....
Yup, when its cold the connection is poor but as it heats up the connections can temporarily get better due to the expansion due to heat, but it will break down the connection after a while as it can only expand so far.
Old July 3rd, 2011, 6:03 PM
CF Active Member

Thank to all that has provided input and advise...I checked all wiring,cables,grounds, etc's...and went out and purchased a NEW starter, direct drive, about half the size...drove it all over town as I do. stoping appx 8 times at different stores.. and letting her sit for 10 mins appx.. and no problem.. she spun and started rite up, no sluggish problem anymore... The starter was the issue.... thanks again......!!!!
Everyone

Quick Reply: Starter sluggish when warm