Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx
Old July 22nd, 2015, 1:36 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Steering and Suspension
Print Wikipost

Steering clunk

Search this Thread

Old March 5th, 2008, 1:25 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steering clunk

I have a 2003 silverado 1500 wt with the 4.3L. I have been getting a lot of clunking from what I believe is the steering shaft. I had this problem once before and the dealer fixed it under warranty. Now that I'm out on my own I am trying to figure out what the problem is so I can fix it. I have 20" wheels and the problem arose when I hit a pothole . Seems to be getting worse everyday. Does anybody know what this is? Any help is greatly appreciated!
Old March 5th, 2008, 4:53 PM
Super Moderator

Default RE: Steering clunk

Welcome to the forum!!! Someone here should be able to answer your question, hang there.
Old March 6th, 2008, 12:12 AM
rms
CF Junior Member

The rack and pinion and the tie rods are weak. I have a friend trying a rack swap, a 2500 into a 1500. email me and I will let you know how it goes. kevin@radymotorsports.com
Old March 11th, 2008, 3:09 PM
CF Beginner

Its not the tie rod ends or rack and pinion. I have narrowed it down to something in the steering shaft or possibly inside the cab.
Old March 21st, 2008, 9:46 AM
CF Beginner

I have that problem on my 05. There is a plastic bushing under the dash and it sits around the shaft. When I hit bumps, it rattles and annoys the crap out of me. All I did was put a bead of epoxy around it securing it better to the shaft. Haven't heard it since!
Old March 21st, 2008, 11:21 AM
CF Active Member

I had the same problem with my 2001 in 02. It was replaced under warranty. Here is a site with some information about it. http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4284
Old March 21st, 2008, 3:09 PM
CF Beginner

I had the same problem on my 2005 Silverado and 2003 Yukon, the local Chevy dealer called it a "I shaft" cost about $130 for parts a labor.
Old March 22nd, 2008, 1:11 AM
CF Beginner

Had a 03 that had I believe the same problem as you guys have, at first it was a clunking when I turned to the left, the dealer put a grease kit in the steering shaft which lasted for less than a year, after that it was done I believe 3 (grease kits, they cost $35 plus labor, I had warranty) more times. Just as the 3/36,000 warranty runs out I have this kit done once more, did not help for long. A short time later I get this satisfaction survey in the mail from Chevrolet, well I wrote the entire history of this problem and my frustration with the dealer and mailed it back. A very short time after this I get a call from the dealership saying they are going to make it right with me, they changed out the steering box and never had the problem back. Should have done this right out the gate. Any way some food for thought with some of you guys because I do know it can be very frustrating. Tim
Old March 22nd, 2008, 12:52 PM
CF Active Member

If you had it fixed under warranty and its the same proble, I believe that it still is covered, just tell the dealership that it is still faulty and that the original problem is still happening. Thats what I was told at the dealership I go to, they've fixed things out of warranty for me for free as long as it was a preexisting *documented* problem when the warranty was still good.
Old March 23rd, 2008, 2:37 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

is your problem manifesting itself at: taking off; stopping; hitting a pothole/bump; sometimes turning and hitting a bump? and it feels exactly in the steering wheel and annoys the hack out of you?

then you have infamous intermediate steering shaft disease. it's so common on silverados and their suv brethren that i am amazed chevy was not sued yet, as it runs virtually on any truck make from mid 90s to present day.

silverado has 2 steering shafts: upper and lower. stealerships used to "exercise" upper shaft and lube it with chevy magic grease with PTFE, which lasted about few weeks. as of several yrs they quit doing this and now should replace it with "redesigned" steering shaft.

i had mine replaced about a mth ago. it is around $100 part from stealership and about 15 min job, involving upside down crawling underneath the dashboard.

also, gm extended their coverage for those parts, and now they "participate" in repair costs up to 70K miles, which means - they will not replace it under warrenty, they will knock off some of the cost, more miles = less discount.