Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

suggestions on programmers with a forced induction engine

Search this Thread

Old January 29th, 2010, 3:08 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default suggestions on programmers with a forced induction engine

hey guys, i own a 2003 5.3L. Im planning on doing a tune to my truck in the near future, but i also plan on installing a supercharger to it, of course i will also get a full exhaust kit in combo with buying the supercharger......ive heard HP Tuners is good with doing 'custom' tunes on a vehicle, but what about with forced induction? i know the a/f ratio will be completely different and the injectors will be working at a different duty cycle, i was just wondering if there is a program/programmer out there that can compensate settings for forced induction to get good results. would i need to install a new MAF sensor? plz give me some advice, thx guys!! and sorry if this is a repeat of another post in similarity, i didn't find one that really answered my question.
Old January 29th, 2010, 9:37 PM
CF Active Member

Your MAF will be fine, we use the 3" and 3.5" GM MAFs on talons beyond 800HP and 70+ LBs / min airflow, and we have them set up blowthrough with the boost pressure in them at 35-40 psi, your case it will still pull through it.
You are probly gonna have to find someone for a cutom tune, i dont think any programmers are worth a sh*t enough to adjust things right for forced induction.
IM not sure if you need to use a GM 3 bar MAP or if it can just be tuned by airflow to get the right WOT a/f ratio.
Old February 1st, 2010, 1:55 PM
CF Beginner

thats kinda what i figured, i just wanted to get other ppl's opinion on that. im def gonna be doing more research when i actually get around to actually supercharging it.....i have a few friends around here that have my style truck and have them tuned/bolt-ons etc, but no one has a truck thats turbo'd or supercharged, so i cant get any tips from those guys. when u live in an area like me, theres not much intelligence with situations like this, unless its old school, haha.
Old February 1st, 2010, 9:19 PM
CF Junior Member

HP Tuners is perfect for tuning a truck with forced induction. I live in missouri too and i got a friend that does HP Tuning. Let me know if you want his info
Old February 3rd, 2010, 1:06 AM
CF Beginner

i have a couple of friends around here that use that as well......what part of missouri r u from?
Old February 3rd, 2010, 1:34 AM
CF Beginner

oh hey racerx, how much r u wanting for your diablo?
Old February 3rd, 2010, 9:13 PM
CF Junior Member

southeast, poplar bluff
Old February 4th, 2010, 2:40 AM
CF Active Member

PM me about the diablo I still for some reason dont get emails when i get PMs or subscribed thread replies...
Ive used it once and its been sitting here on my desk for a year on the top shelf, i do have the serial cable and AC power adapter for it also, and the book somewhere. everything but the box which my dog thought was food.
We are big on the forced induction stuff around here but mostly on mitsubishi crap. Ive never blown apart so many transmissions in a year in my life untill i got into these cars.
Just always remember with forced induction any detonation at all will break a ring land, blow head gaskets, or burn down through the side of a piston really quick, especially at higher boost levels. 5psi might not really cause much damamge, but on a 4 cyl making 1500HP at 55psi about the time it rattles there is a 1/2" deep torch mark in the head and block.
11.0:1 a/f ratio is always a safe place to be when boost is present. light throttle and cruising you keep lean as normal in the 14.7 area.
E85 is my best friend in the 10 second car.

Last edited by racerx55; February 4th, 2010 at 3:00 AM.
Old February 4th, 2010, 2:17 PM
CF Beginner

haha yea im not planning on changing internals, just enough boost with stock internals is all im looking for, its my daily driver so im not going too crazy with it, i got an old rust bucket that im working on as a toy, but its NA, no boost for that motor, lol its built with real high compression, barely on pump gas
Old February 4th, 2010, 2:18 PM
CF Beginner

oh silverado08, im not too far from there, i live by sikeston, u might know some of the ppl i know

Quick Reply: suggestions on programmers with a forced induction engine