Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

Switched to 40 weight oil and now have oil leaks

Search this Thread

Old April 11th, 2011, 11:08 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Interesting remarks...you have me thinking now about my past experiences using 50wt oil.

So when you are talking about blow by...where in the engine would this oil blow by and where will it end up?
Old April 12th, 2011, 2:28 AM
CF Beginner

When u get blow by generaly u have a lot of pressure in the motor the forces oil where it wouldn't normally go such as up thru your valve guides thru piston rings and into the cylinder then u will start fowling spark plugs like nobodys bussiness.....lol But your real problem will be when u start blowing valve cover gaskets then intake gaskets and eventually your rear main. When u have to much oil pressure it takes the easy way out thru gaskets first then the hard parts of the motor. If u are worried about parts getting enough oil you can run a good quality oil with an additive or put in a high volume pump or do both. I personally think a good oil and additive with regular service is the way to go. I use valvoline syntheic blend with a quart of lucas oil stabilzer every oil change and I run 5000 miles between changes and tow trailers
Old April 12th, 2011, 9:04 AM
CF Junior Member

The only problem I had was with my 78 Chevy suburban...3 things actually

1. I had a little tube (if I remember right) coming out of the valve cover gaskets. would spit oil out occasionally. But I think that was the design. Friend said that it was more that usual.

2. Had to replace my air filter more frequently as it was stained with oil where air intake will come in.

3. Number one port (spark plugs) coated with oil.

I ended up selling the truck for $400 as the person wanted the 4 x 4 guts and tranny parts for a jeep re-build. He parted it out then hulked it. My first ever roofing truck gone to heaven.

Last edited by Rob G; April 12th, 2011 at 11:09 AM.