Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Synthetic

Search this Thread

Old March 7th, 2008, 9:33 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Synthetic

New Silverado 5.3 L, with active fuel management. How many miles should one have before switching to synthetic oil? I am thinking around 5,000 so that everything has time to seat and break in.
Old March 7th, 2008, 10:01 PM
Super Moderator

Default RE: Synthetic

Welcome to the forum!!! You may want to check with your dealer to make sure that you don't void your warranty by switching to synthetic. If you do not have to worry about the warranty, I would wait till it had around 15,000 to break the engine in well.
Old March 7th, 2008, 10:07 PM
CF Active Member

good rule of thumb is 10k miles. which synthetic are you going with?
i just switched to royal purple from penzoil regular oil and then penzoil platinum. im thinking about switching out the oil in my rear end and transfer case sometime.
Old March 7th, 2008, 10:18 PM
CF Junior Member

Thanks for the welcome northy87. I donno what brand yet. Probably Mobil I. I swithched over to synthetic in my motorcycle after about 8,000 miles. I use Shell Rotella 5W 30 in it as it is readily available and preformed very well in oil analysis according to members of the message board for my bike. I don't know if it is a grade 3, 4, 5, true syn. or made from premium mineral or what.
Old March 8th, 2008, 7:38 PM
CF Senior Member

Welcome to the boards Red Ron, there are alot of diffrent opinions on what exactley is the best time to switch. I switched after 6,000 miles, and my Silverado runs fantastic. I will say this. In my personal opinion, from what ive learned from other forums, you have to waste the first oil synthetic oil change-over, because it will be a mix of conventional leftover oil and synthetic. So change it, fill it up, run around town, and change it again. I use Royal Purple, one of the best, IMO. Another really good product is Amsoil. Do plenty of research first and not just rely on opinions. Check out consumer reports.
Old March 8th, 2008, 7:46 PM
CF Beginner

i second fireman526 about the amsoil. i put my truck threw he** and my engine and differentials havnt given up or even shown any signs of failing. amsoil is a great product.
Old March 8th, 2008, 7:57 PM
CF Junior Member

Hello Fireman 526. Thanks for the sacrifice you make for your country and community. Amsoil is highly recommended by several members of the forum I use for my bike.Also Shell Rotella gets very high marks on analysis and is about 0.5 the cost. I have heard a lot about Royal Purple but have never seen it in my area. How does one get access to it. (I guess I could do a yahoo or google search). Thanks to all for the responses. This seems to be a great info source for Silverado owners.
Old March 8th, 2008, 8:05 PM
CF Beginner

try looking amsoil up online. if you become a preferd customer you can save a bundle. you may be able to do the same for royal purple.
Old March 9th, 2008, 1:45 PM
CF Junior Member

Thanks Bubba Gump
Old March 10th, 2008, 1:54 PM
CF Senior Member

Thanks Ron

You can buy Royal Purple on ebay.

Quick Reply: Synthetic