Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Old July 27th, 2015, 2:35 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Exterior Guides
Print Wikipost

Tailgate WON'T shut

Old July 27th, 2010, 3:03 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tailgate WON'T shut

It appears that the actual handle mechanism on my tailgate is starting to fail? Recently I noticed that closing the tailgate with the normal amount of effort resulted in it not latching. I then had to start slamming it harder and harder. Now, the only way I can get it to shut is to press in on the actual handle while I give it a good shove. No pressure on the handle and it fails to shut.

Ideas? I'm about to pull the handle cover off and start peeking around, but thought I'd look to the wisdom of the forum as well.

This is on a 2008 Silverado Crew Cab.
Old July 27th, 2010, 10:39 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

there are 2 retaining clips on the inside for the rods that go from the latch to the handle check those and make sure those arent broken. if they are replace them. maybe the latches need some lubricant? but if you pull the cover off and check the rod when trying to shut it and it moves maybe you need a new latch. good luck. keep us updated
Old July 28th, 2010, 9:56 AM
CF Beginner

Took the cover off yesterday and all is still in one piece. It just appears to be severely dirty/coroded. I bought some cleaner/lubricant and sprayed the heck out of it. Not clear it made a stitch of difference, but I've yet to check it today (maybe time helped).

Seems an unfortunate design issue that so much moisture/dirt can get in to the tailgate in the first place to get it this gummed up...
Old July 30th, 2010, 11:28 PM
CF Active Member

Not sure if this will help, but Chevy has a tail gate handle assembly upgrade for the newer style trucks. It comes with a LOCK. you replace the whole assembly (handle mechanism and trim). The lock will imprint your current ignition key the first time you use it. The sweetest part, the assembly is only $50.00. I just bought one to lock my tail gate with the toneau cover I just bought. I don't know how hard the install is as I haven't done it yet. But for fifty bucks, you may solve your problem and keep other people from stealing your $1500 tailgate.

Hope this helps.

Eric