Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Nav radio fan won't shut off

Search this Thread

Old February 26th, 2007, 11:30 PM
CF Active Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Nav radio fan won't shut off

I just got done installing my new nav radio and have now noticed that the fan in the nav radio is still running (sounds like a whirring fan) after the truck being shut off for over two hours? I have just removed the neg battery cable as I thought the battery would finally go dead. Anybody know why this nav unit keeps running?
Thanks
Old February 27th, 2007, 12:28 AM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Nav radio fan won't shut off

Are you sure it's the fan? The CD spins up as soon as you open a door so the NAV will be ready.
Old February 27th, 2007, 12:37 AM
CF Active Member

It still runs with me inside with the doors closed, it will not shut off. I don't really know if it is the fan or the disc motor spinning. There is no cd/dvd in the unit as I can not get it to do anything until it is flashed I assume as it is in the "Theft Lock" mode. I also have no sounds anywhere, no ding ding when the key is left in no turn signal noise, no horn chirps when locking with remote, etc.
Old February 27th, 2007, 1:53 PM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Once you get the radio matched to your Tahoe it will act normally, don;t worry about the fan running, your battery can handle that load for weeks.
Old February 27th, 2007, 6:25 PM
CF Active Member

So, are you saying that the re-program will then make the fan shut off? If not then I can not believe that something like that is running 24/7 inside the truck as it will run the battery down in time! Not to mention the wear on the internal parts of the radio ie the fan.
Old February 27th, 2007, 6:43 PM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Put in the NAV DVD and it should stop once thedisc completesloading. This may take form 15>30 minutes the first time. You don't need to program the unit first. I've never had mine in for programming....... (unless yours was in another vehicle previously then you will have to get it out of theftlock)
Old February 27th, 2007, 6:52 PM
CF Active Member

I would love to but can't get the door to open to put in the dvd? How do you do that when in "Theft Lock" mode?
Thanks

Edit: answered too fast - yes I need to get it re-programed first I assume.
Old February 28th, 2007, 11:55 PM
CF Active Member

OK, here is the way it really works. You have the radio and the nav system on then shut the truck off and exit the truck, the radio disc/fan (don't know which or maybe both) continues to run for a couple of minutes presumably to cool everything down and then automatically shuts itself off. Whenever you enter the truck thru either door the units fan/disc starts running again before you even start the car and if the car is never started it shuts down again automatically.