Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Thinkin about getting a chevy truck.

Search this Thread

Old June 5th, 2009, 7:33 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thinkin about getting a chevy truck.

Hello all, im kind of on the rail on whether or not to get this truck

Its a 2000 silverado z71 extended cab short bed with the 5.3l motor. It has 61k miles and they want 11400 for it

I currently drive a 2008 toyota yaris with about 2500 in modifications.
I enjoy the little car, its fun to drive and it gets GREAT gas mileage

but it doesnt fit my outdoor lifestly. I have a boat and a car that i need to tow, and also an atv, and sometimes i need to traverse terrain not suitable for my little car.

Do you think itd be a good decision to go with that truck, and does it sound like a good deal? The only thing with it is it still has aluminium heads on teh spark plugs and i dont think they have ever been changed. So i can imagine they are gonna be a pain and a half to get out.

Also, as truck owners, are you all feeling any pain from the gas prices? I know its going to be something to get used to, but im still kinda on the rail...Here is my current car

Name:  DSC00728.jpg
Views: 149
Size:  148.5 KB
Old June 5th, 2009, 8:37 PM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

don't worry about the plugs they will come out as long as the engine is not warmed up
Old June 5th, 2009, 8:54 PM
CF Junior Member

if your saying that your truck has aluminum heads, then be very carefull when taking spark plugs out, you can cross thread and strip the heads easily, this happened on my sisters accord, you have to retap, or get new heads and its a pain
other then that go for it. gas mileage on a 2000 is far from that of the yaris, but its not the worst.
Old June 5th, 2009, 9:30 PM
CF Veteran

Default truck

it don't sound bad ,is it a 2wd ?my ole man has a 2001 1500 2wd w 5.3 he gets about 18 or so mpg .privet owner ?any record?s what's it blue book for ?
Old June 5th, 2009, 10:47 PM
Super Moderator

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Two things to consider:

Just because it's a larger vehicle, doesn't mean you can't try to get better mileage with it.

There's a lot of posts at this very site which address better MPG. You don't have to lamely accept your fate just because you're not getting optimal mileage with an "economy car". I personally am on the cusp of doubling my vehicle's original listed MPG, and a couple of other guys have actually done it.

The vehicle you mentioned sounds pretty decent to me, BTW. You should be looking at @16MPG or so to start, with any luck.
Old June 5th, 2009, 10:54 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by rivereye
Two things to consider:

Just because it's a larger vehicle, doesn't mean you can't try to get better mileage with it.

There's a lot of posts at this very site which address better MPG. You don't have to lamely accept your fate just because you're not getting optimal mileage with an "economy car". I personally am on the cusp of doubling my vehicle's original listed MPG, and a couple of other guys have actually done it.

The vehicle you mentioned sounds pretty decent to me, BTW. You should be looking at @16MPG or so to start, with any luck.
yep,
I agree with you
Old June 5th, 2009, 11:14 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

don't be silly. toyota to chevy? i did honda to chevy, cursed day and time in about 2 mths.

anyhow, donno how much of "outdoors style" you have in mind and ACTUALLY DO. chevy trucks are not outdoors vehicles, they are poor breed work mules.

for true outdoorsman, get toyota 4runner or heck, forgot the name - oh, land cruiser. they are MADE to go outdoors and reliability is incomparable between the 2 makes.

also, if you happy with about 16-17 mpg, then yeah, do switch from yar-*** to a chevy pickup. i have same truck, i know. and i am VERY EASY on gas.

those trucks are made for folks like my kind - have decent income, good hands, and time to spend on repairs continuously. frigging money pit, always something. at least, i have learned a lot new about repairs. couldn't much off my CR-V, had only fuel cap replaced in 100 000 miles.
Old June 5th, 2009, 11:51 PM
CF Active Member

i have a 250cc street bike to compensate for the fuel my truck eats. i NEED my truck though, sounds like you need one also. im wishing i would have just got a beater truck for a race car hauler and a nice small daily driver car though. but gas wasnt $4 a gallon when i bought it. With the right tune with my programmer i can get 26mpg on the highway out of my truck. not bad for a big 4x4

Last edited by racerx55; June 5th, 2009 at 11:53 PM.
Old June 6th, 2009, 4:25 AM
Classifieds Moderator
TruckForums Liaison

I'm just saying, but that price seems a little high to me, My grandpa is trying to sell his pristine 2000 GMC Sierra 2wd extended cab with 82,000 miles and he is asking $7500
Old June 6th, 2009, 8:17 AM
CF Active Member

that does seem high. they all try to rape you on the price. offer them 9. low ball them.

Quick Reply: Thinkin about getting a chevy truck.