Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Trailer light problems please help

Search this Thread

Old November 5th, 2010, 2:41 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trailer light problems please help

Ok, I have an 88 Terry travel trailer that I tow with my 02 k1500. The lights worked fine and then all of a sudden one day they were all messed up. First I couldn't keep my tail lights on unless I messed with the bulb every time I started the truck. Then the right blinker wouldn't work and then later when I would turn the blinker on they both would flash. This all happened in a one weekend trip. I got home and removed the stock lights because it looked like some wires may have been touching each other and they were in need of replacing anyway. Replaced the old lights and checked them probably 4 different times while re installing them. They worked perfectly every time. Got them all done screwed in and siliconed up, waited for a few hours and then checked them again and now they don't work!!!! The brake lights are on as the tail lights and nothing else will work. I know it's not my truck because I have another trailer that works fine. What I do not understand is why 5 hours ago they worked and now they don't. Could a bad ground cause this? If so, where would it be on a travel trailer? Please help, getting very frustrated!
Old November 5th, 2010, 3:35 PM
CF Junior Member

check the fuses under the hood there should be some labeled for trailer lights esp if you suspect there might have been some wires touching before it might have blown 1 or more of the trailer light fues's
Old November 5th, 2010, 4:44 PM
CF Beginner

Checked that, they were all good. There is a 20 amp fuse inside the trailer that just says "lighting" that I found blown and haven't changed it yet. I don't think that is the problem but you never know I guess.
Old November 5th, 2010, 10:36 PM
CF Veteran

Default on the blink

god help you on travel trailer's they like to run the wiring inside the walls and floor .you could be chasing bad ground's and wire's breaking the insulation forever .some time's it is just easier to run new tail light wiring and get it over with .
Old November 5th, 2010, 10:56 PM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

lol Old dog might be on to something there...
for sure check all the grounds for good solid connections, they should read pretty low, less than 6 ohms.

also make sure the trailer connector is is good shape and that the electrical connectors are not stretched out, burnt or corroded..
Old November 6th, 2010, 12:28 PM
CF Beginner

Thanks guys, As of right now they seem to be working but who knows once I hook it up and tow it down the road. If they don't work again I think I will have to run new wires because you are correct. I can only follow the wires for about 3 feet before they dissapear into the trailer.
Old November 6th, 2010, 10:29 PM
Super Moderator

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Hi chevycowboy80

Welcome to the Chevy Forums.

Rewire kits are cheap, available at ALL car parts stores, and not very difficult to install. Unfortunately, it sounds like it might be time...
Old November 7th, 2010, 1:18 AM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sometimes a hitch will not be tight enough in the reciever and can cause connection ground to the truck to be bad, wiggle the hitch and see if lights work intermittently. second off, make sure replacing bulbs that you use right ones. some can draw more amps then the other and make it not work. electrical can be picky
Old November 7th, 2010, 7:10 AM
CF Veteran

i agree with what lucian*91 said except the part about wiggling the hitch .if you are depending on the hitch ball and mount to provide a ground you are setting your self up for failure .you should have a separate ground ran through the plug .with a wire grounded to the frame on the tongue of the trailer ,and the other end on the truck a dedicated ground through the plug .the ball and mount will be moving as you are traveling and rust and or grease on the ball do not make a good ground .
Old November 7th, 2010, 9:47 AM
CF Junior Member

your ground should not run threw the hitch there should be a ground wire from the plug to the trailer frame, you can try finding this wire trace it to where it connects to the frame and then un bolt it grind it to clean metal clean up the wire and re attach it after its been re attached hit it with some spray paint to avoid rust. a lot of times that will solve intermittent light problems.