Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

transmission issues

Search this Thread

Old December 8th, 2009, 8:02 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default transmission issues

I was up north when BAM the dreaded sunshell gear goes out. I had no choice but to have it rebuilt up north. I paid 3000.00 to have the trans and transfer case rebuilt. Is this a normal price? They said they put in HD sunshell, corvette servo, did updates, and put a case saver in the T case after they welded the holes in the T case. Does this sound right? 03 silverado, 4x4 5.3 200,000 miles. Any info would be great.

Last edited by jameseroot; December 8th, 2009 at 9:37 AM. Reason: adding signature
Old December 8th, 2009, 10:01 PM
Super Moderator
Professional Mechanic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sound about right.

Last edited by MDTAHOE; December 8th, 2009 at 10:03 PM.
Old December 9th, 2009, 11:51 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

personal opinion. i talked to a trans shop about the "beast shell" or heavy duty shell. he said people ask to install them. and every 4 years after the install and rebuild. he said the thrust washer ends up in the pan and he has no idea. my idea is that the beast shell is just a hair off in straightness and flatness to where the shell splines to the rest of the parts. because i asked my trans professor and we agreed that thrust washer could go out from a slight flaw in the making of the part. so. that price is about right. damn high. honestly you get a micrometer. in. lbs torqe wrench and ft. lbs torque wrench and a rebuild book with new parts and soap to clean case. your set. i know though. its better to have a warranty. but. if i were you. call up the shop. talk about what kind of shell was used. and if there were any comebacks at their shop for thrust washer issues and such. if so... talk about what to do about yours. good luck.
Old December 9th, 2009, 3:04 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

will do. thanks for the info.