Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Truck dies after trying to start engine

Search this Thread

Old July 18th, 2014, 2:05 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Truck dies after trying to start engine

Model: 2007 Silverado Classic LT 4.8L V8

Recently my Silverado would die after trying to start up engine, usually making a clanking noise rather than a normal start up. This also kills everything else in the truck: lights, radio, locks, etc temporarily. The electricity returns after a few seconds to a few minutes. The other day I was driving and the engine just shuts off for only 1-2 seconds then restart. The radio and everything else didn't shut off though so I could also see the RPM gauge going from 1 to 0 then back to 1.

I pulled over and nothing appeared or sound wrong, and the truck drove normally afterwards. In fact it drives normal with the only problems being at start up and engine shutting off once or twice on the road.

A car restorer that lives nearby said it was my battery connection but I've tightened it and made sure it was tight several times. The battery is also brand new so is the alternator. I'm thinking it may be an engine problem but I came on here to find out.

Any ideas?
Old July 18th, 2014, 9:22 PM
CF Monarch

Received 343 Likes on 324 Posts

You have to check the battery cables at both ends not just at the battery. Loose or corroded cables or connections can cause your problem.