Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Turkey Pop-Up Timer

Search this Thread

Old May 31st, 2008, 11:03 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turkey Pop-Up Timer

Changing oil today, and while pouring used oil from drain pan back into the jugs the new oil came in discovered something that looked like one of those pop-up timers they put into a turkey to let you know its done. It was all metal and smaller and reminded me of some kind of temp. sensor. It didn't appear to be broke loose from anywhere but I wonder where it came from. I have changed oil in other vechiles with that pan. Could it have come from the oil filter mounts? I have an '07 5.3L Crewcab. The temp. function on the DIC still appears to be working (and changing Temp.). Thanks for any input.
Old May 31st, 2008, 12:09 PM
CF Active Member

Default RE: Turkey Pop-Up Timer

What? It came *out* of the drain pan? as in, some part came out of your oil pan?
Old May 31st, 2008, 6:11 PM
CF Senior Member

Whow, I hope that didnt come out of your truck. I would take the part in and ask what it is, if they tell you its something important off of a chevy truck, tell them it came out of your engine when you were changing your oil, its under warranty anyways. I wouldnt mess around with broken engine parts.
Old May 31st, 2008, 10:51 PM
Super Moderator

Well? Was the turkey done?
Old June 1st, 2008, 8:19 AM
CF Junior Member

To clarify, I found it in the bottom of the plastic pan I use to catch oil when I pull the plug when changing oil. I don't know if it could have come from the vehicle or was already in the plastic pan before I started changing oil.

And yes the Turkey was done but the used 5W30 I used to bast it with didn't work out very well!
Old June 2nd, 2008, 3:17 AM
CF Senior Member

Look and see if that part is small enough to fit through the drain hole. If its not, prob didnt come out of the trucks oil pan.
Old June 2nd, 2008, 7:26 AM
Super Moderator

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

This could be a dust cover from the dipstick hole. It was a common occurrence to pull the entire pan off an automatic transmission(The C-6 comes to mind) to change the screen and fluid and find one of these in the pan on the first change. Never heard of it coming out the drain-hole, or from an engine in a Chevy. I agree with taking the part to a dealer, when they identify it, repost and tell us what it was. Over a dozen oil changes on my 04 silverado and I never saw anything like this.