Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Vortec 454 problems

Search this Thread

Old March 7th, 2012, 12:28 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vortec 454 problems

Sorry, i'm new so I have no clue where to be posting this but anyway . . . .
I have a 97 vortec 454. When cold it starts and runs good, but after it is warmed up it will idle rough. Also when cruising at highway speeds it will shudder or buck every once and a while. Plugs and wires seem good. No vacuum leaks that I can find, changed pcv valve, and fuel filter. Not throwing any codes or check engine light. Confused, not real sure what to do here.
Thanks, Shayne
Old March 7th, 2012, 9:29 PM
CF Beginner

how many miles does it have? i had a the same issue with mine and i discovered it was a bad fuel pressure regulator and my injectors were worn out. the best thing is the injectors can be replaced individual instead of a whole assembly.
Old March 7th, 2012, 10:19 PM
CF Beginner

about 130,000 miles. It just confuses the hell out of me because it is new enought that this **** SHOULD (i know, they never work like they are supposed too) turn on the service engine light and throw some kind of code
Old March 8th, 2012, 6:37 PM
CF Active Member

Is it missing or just running rough. Check your fuel pressure it might be a fuel pump. i didnt get codes either time mine went out and it drove me crazy id just be driving and it would start to run awful bucking and loosing power then catch up in a while. and if it has 130,xxx and you havent done a new pump it is very possible that your problem. if its just flat out missing though it will be a little trickier

Last edited by nkh34; March 9th, 2012 at 6:03 PM.
Old March 8th, 2012, 7:09 PM
CF Beginner

It doesn't seem to be missing but definately running rough AFTER it is warm. I can hear the fuel pump and it sounds normal but I guess that doesn't mean a whole lot. When it's cold it runs nice, idles good.

Last edited by sherman943; March 8th, 2012 at 7:32 PM.
Old November 3rd, 2014, 12:16 PM
New User
Awaiting E-mail Confirmation

Default 97 454 cuts out

Hello I'm lost as well it idles rough an cuts out when under a load it's a 5 speed so every gear before u shift has a new distributor, plugs,wires,cap,coil I put fuel pressure gauge on it for a few minutes it holds 48 psi one day it will run decent next day horrible I've been pouring sea foam in th gas no difference about to give up anybody have any ideas an can u check injectors
Old January 17th, 2020, 9:49 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by sherman943
I have a 97 vortec 454. When cold it starts and runs good, but after it is warmed up it will idle rough. Also when cruising at highway speeds it will shudder or buck every once and a while. Plugs and wires seem good. No vacuum leaks that I can find, changed pcv valve, and fuel filter. Not throwing any codes or check engine light. Confused, not real sure what to do here.
Thanks, Shayne
i have the same thing it is the mass air flow sacer
Old January 3rd, 2021, 12:38 PM
CF Beginner

Default Curious

I'm wondering what bolt one or things to do besides be exaust to get a bit more jam out of my 97' cheve Silverado K 2500 with 454 vortec. I want to keep away from internal stuff . I bought a jet tuner which was recommended by a friend and it screwed my engine , so I'm going with another same motor . It has an MSD racing coil, ignition box but box is unhooked, I'm told it blows put spark plugs , and truck has nice exaust . Looking for some good pointers and advice of couple things I could do with small things or bolt one, thanks..
Old January 3rd, 2021, 12:47 PM
CF Veteran

Received 203 Likes on 177 Posts

Welcome Ashley. You will get more responses if you start a new topic for discussion vs jumping on one that's almost 9 years old
Old June 17th, 2021, 6:19 PM
CF Beginner

Default Weird fix

Originally Posted by sherman943
Thanks, Shayne

My truck did the same thing for a while and when I was told to replace my water temp sensors I didn't think it would work but it did and I also replaced my coil pack also and rebuilt the distributor but the problem was fixed with the water temp sensors and it also fixed my long crank to start problem also