Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

Windshield removal?

Search this Thread

Old June 24th, 2009, 9:48 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Windshield removal?

Truck is a 97 K1500. What's the process? Is it tough to do? I have rust and leaks to repair where the roof and windshield meet. I also need a new windshield, so I figure now would be the time to patch things up.
Thanks Guys!!!!
Scooter
Old June 25th, 2009, 3:32 AM
CF Active Member

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post

It might help if you had any pictures. Because i dont really understand what you mean with "the windshield".
Well...i know its the part where your window touches the iron... But there's so much more to it then that.

You will need to remove the window. And that might end up in a broken window. And you will need to be able to weld tin, which most people can not.
Old June 25th, 2009, 1:03 PM
CF Monarch

Received 26 Likes on 9 Posts

Um... Koff, I know your English may not be the best, but the windsheild is the window you look forward through while you are driving. If thats not enough of a clue, it is wiped by "windsheild wipers".

The windsheild is held in by adhesives and seals
Never done it myself, but theres a trim piece around the sides of the windsheild. Remove the trim peices and then remove the wiper cowl.
Old June 26th, 2009, 10:07 AM
CF Junior Member

on a 97, there should be a gasket that has to be replaced with the glass. thats the rubber piece around the top and sides... the black adhesive has to be cut out with a "cold knife" or a razor blade,(a cold knife is an L shaped blade attached to a handle with a wire and another handle for leverage.) 9 times out of 10 the glass will break during the cut out. remove the wiper arms, and cowl before cutting any of the glue out. the bottom section is alittle tricky, if you do not want to remove your dash first I would suggest getting what is called a long knife. its a flat bar with a razor blade in the end.
cut out the top and sides first, get inside the truck, (wear a hat and safty glasses for this part at least) push the glass out as far as you can with your head while using the long knife to cut away the buetal (glue) along the bottom. thats about all there is to it. any questions shoot me a message.
Old June 26th, 2009, 10:09 AM
CF Junior Member

Originally Posted by EvansBlue
Um... Koff, I know your English may not be the best, but the windsheild is the window you look forward through while you are driving. If thats not enough of a clue, it is wiped by "windsheild wipers".

The windsheild is held in by adhesives and seals
Never done it myself, but theres a trim piece around the sides of the windsheild. Remove the trim peices and then remove the wiper cowl.

I believe they call it a wind screen.
Old June 26th, 2009, 10:35 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by Scootertrash
Truck is a 97 K1500. What's the process? Is it tough to do? I have rust and leaks to repair where the roof and windshield meet. I also need a new windshield, so I figure now would be the time to patch things up.
Get in the drivers seat, insert the key, start the truck and drive to an auto glass place and have them replace the windshield. Seriously. This isn't a job for amateurs IMO.
Old June 26th, 2009, 11:45 AM
Banned

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by MikePA
Get in the drivers seat, insert the key, start the truck and drive to an auto glass place and have them replace the windshield. Seriously. This isn't a job for amateurs IMO.
I agree with this statement 100%
There are special tools, special adhesives, and trained people to take care of jobs like these. If not done properly, you will probably end up with a cracked windshield or a leaking one.
Totally up to you, but is not recommended

Trending Topics

Old June 26th, 2009, 9:55 PM
CF Junior Member

Thanks for the tips guys! The windshield (or wind screen ;D) is already shot and needs to be replaced, so I'm not worried about breaking it. I appreciate the cautions about an "amateur" not trying this task and it being for professionals, however, the "professionals" that switched out my windshield the last couple of times were teenagers working for a professional company. This alone tells me that they more than likely didn't have alot of years of experiaince in the trade. That, along with the fact that if these guys were indeed professionals, I more than likely wouldn't have rust on the cab above the window that needs to be repaired now would I?

This, along with the fact that in my SHORT 49 years of life, I have accomplished many tasks that "shouldn't be attempted by amateurs" by following a few simple steps:

1) Research. Ask those who know what they are doing. (much easier now that we have the internet)
2) Take your time, be patient
3) Don't force things, if it's not moving there is a reason
4) Be patient. If you get frustrated, take a breather.
5) Know when to say "I quit" (hasn't happened to me yet)

While I have replaced a handfull of windshields in 70's and 80's models of cars, I have not done one in the 90's yet. I'm sure they are installed differently in the 90's than they were in the 80's.

So now, before I dive into replacing the windshield myself, I will use the search function first to see if there are any old posts about removing the headliner in my year and model of truck. If not, I will create a new post on removing the headliner in my truck to see just how bad the rust damage is before I remove the windshield. ;D
Old June 27th, 2009, 5:00 PM
CF Junior Member

hey, one last thing. pulling the glass isnt the big issue. its cracked already and you have to do some repair work to the tin anyway. putting the new piece in is a very precise process, the glass has to be primed, the metal has to be primed, both with a very special primer. than the primer has to dry for a certain amount of time before the adhesive is shot. I worked for Safelite autoglass for about a year and a half doing windshield repairs, in that time I learned a thing or two about install. enough to know I didnt want to be responsible for someones windshield falling out. once you have the glass out and the repair work done. I would give them a call and see if they can come to you and install the glass. high standard company with very good tech's. some of the best in the buisness. 1-800-800-ASAP (2727) or find them online
safelite.com
Old June 27th, 2009, 7:18 PM
CF Junior Member

Replacing the windshield is a fairly easy process, as long as you know what you are doing, start with removing the outer trim piece, more than likely it will pull apart and be junk, plan on replacing it, depending on the condition of the windshield itself, the next part is very easy if you do not plan on keeping the windshield, if you do plan on keeping it, then use very great caution. Take a small screw driver or pick and work a hole through the adhesive from the outside to the inside of the truck, try not to use force on the glass because it will chip and/ or crack. The next part takes two people, this is very time consuming, but you need to find an old hood release cable, and strip the outer coating off, so you have just the wire left, then push it through that small hole you made with the screw driver and pull it back in forth like a saw, you need to do it on a cool day or in a garage so that the adhesive does not have a chance to join back together, you might have to go around it two times, then once you went all around the windshield, sit inside the truck and lightly push the glass outward, having some one out side the truck guiding you. Hope this helps.

Quick Reply: Windshield removal?