Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Windshield removal?

Search this Thread

Old June 28th, 2009, 6:02 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree with your line of thinking, but in the case of a windshiled replacement, it is much faster, and cheaper, to have the glass replacement place do it.
I also have replaced windshields in 1970's cars. But when my 2005 truck needed one done, the glass company came to my vehicle and did the job on-site. And, since it wasn't covered by insurance, (and I told them this when I called to make the appointment) the price went from $900 down to $216.00. They even put a new inspection sticker on the windshield when they were done.
So, even though you like to take pride in doing the job yourself, these guys are fast and do a quality job.
I reccomend using the phone, not all your tools and time.
Just my opinion.
Good luck with what ever you decide.

Originally Posted by Scootertrash
Thanks for the tips guys! The windshield (or wind screen ;D) is already shot and needs to be replaced, so I'm not worried about breaking it. I appreciate the cautions about an "amateur" not trying this task and it being for professionals, however, the "professionals" that switched out my windshield the last couple of times were teenagers working for a professional company. This alone tells me that they more than likely didn't have alot of years of experiaince in the trade. That, along with the fact that if these guys were indeed professionals, I more than likely wouldn't have rust on the cab above the window that needs to be repaired now would I?

This, along with the fact that in my SHORT 49 years of life, I have accomplished many tasks that "shouldn't be attempted by amateurs" by following a few simple steps:

1) Research. Ask those who know what they are doing. (much easier now that we have the internet)
2) Take your time, be patient
3) Don't force things, if it's not moving there is a reason
4) Be patient. If you get frustrated, take a breather.
5) Know when to say "I quit" (hasn't happened to me yet)

While I have replaced a handfull of windshields in 70's and 80's models of cars, I have not done one in the 90's yet. I'm sure they are installed differently in the 90's than they were in the 80's.

So now, before I dive into replacing the windshield myself, I will use the search function first to see if there are any old posts about removing the headliner in my year and model of truck. If not, I will create a new post on removing the headliner in my truck to see just how bad the rust damage is before I remove the windshield. ;D