Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

05 silverado bump vibrations

Search this Thread

Old June 7th, 2009, 10:26 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 05 silverado bump vibrations

when i hit bumps in my truck there is a heavy vibration set off that shakes occupants innards heavily about 7 times or so. i think this is cause by the exhaust moving. its a heavy annoying thing to the body. if i had to ride on rough roads for very long id go crazy. everything on the exhaust looks brand new. i was going to just mount it solid but then thought well they must put it on rubber for a reason but im getting far too much movement out of it when compared with my dad toyota. any aftermaket mounts to limit movement or would making hard mounts be ok? id have to rate the vehicle as poor quality overall and am shocked that the company has stayed in business for so long what with all the quirks and problems that ive had on a relatively brand new truck. im down with the buy american philosophy but buying junk is buying junk no matter who makes it and that just doesnt make sense to me.
Old June 8th, 2009, 1:08 AM
CF Active Member

trucks do that,especially extend cab trucks... its the frame flexing... the frame has to flex or it would break.
if you want a cadillac ride, buy a coupe DeVille.
Old June 8th, 2009, 1:19 AM
CF Active Member

Just because you don't like the ride doesn't mean you have to bash it. Take it to a mechanic you trust and have him take a look; if everything checks out and is fine, then sell it to someone who will appreciate it.

Racer is right though; you can't buy a truck and expect it to ride like a Cadillac. Oh, another thought; maybe you shouldn't drive too fast on bumpy roads? They have speed limits for a reason.
Old June 8th, 2009, 1:23 AM
CF Active Member

my old 92 2wd ext cab was really bad about that frame "resoance" they call it.
the longer the frame is, the more it will flex. you have a cab in front, with a gap then the bed, there is no help to the frame holding it still, so you get a wobble type feeling as it flexes back and forth from a bump. cars dont do it because theyre unibody. toyotas dont because they have had problems with the frames cracking since the 70's and still do.
Old June 8th, 2009, 1:31 AM
CF Beginner

is the exhaust stock? if not it mite not be installed right have someone check all the pipes.
Old June 8th, 2009, 7:58 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by racerx55
trucks do that,especially extend cab trucks... its the frame flexing... the frame has to flex or it would break.
if you want a cadillac ride, buy a coupe DeVille.

ive never heard of this. however i doubt that it is frame flex that is happening. it might be but i doubt it. the movement is to fast and pendulum like. i noticed many loose heavy things on the truck cold air intake and coolant bottle. im going to try to secrure these items better. could it be something in the doors. it seemed to lessen when the windows were fully up.
Old June 8th, 2009, 8:06 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by Blindsight
Just because you don't like the ride doesn't mean you have to bash it. Take it to a mechanic you trust and have him take a look; if everything checks out and is fine, then sell it to someone who will appreciate it.

Racer is right though; you can't buy a truck and expect it to ride like a Cadillac. Oh, another thought; maybe you shouldn't drive too fast on bumpy roads? They have speed limits for a reason.
i have a right to bash something that deserves to be bashed. 25000 miles and the truck had a 1 inch list. turn off the keys and sometimes the battery and drive indicator light stays on. front brake rotor inner rotor surfaces rusted so far out they ate the brake pads. (i cant figure that one out for the life of me) clunking transmission. noises from the steering column when turning left. drivers seat falling apart. silly automatic locker. vehicle plows in turns. i really like the truck but there should not be these issues. women love men that beat them and i think manyb people have that fascination with american vehicles when they just dont make sense. honestly my 92 toyota with 182000 on the clock is in better shape.
Old June 8th, 2009, 8:17 AM
CF Beginner

oh and thanks everyone for the info they gave
Old June 8th, 2009, 9:51 AM
CF Active Member

Originally Posted by mikecwik
i have a right to bash something that deserves to be bashed. 25000 miles and the truck had a 1 inch list. turn off the keys and sometimes the battery and drive indicator light stays on. front brake rotor inner rotor surfaces rusted so far out they ate the brake pads. (i cant figure that one out for the life of me) clunking transmission. noises from the steering column when turning left. drivers seat falling apart. silly automatic locker. vehicle plows in turns. i really like the truck but there should not be these issues. women love men that beat them and i think manyb people have that fascination with american vehicles when they just dont make sense. honestly my 92 toyota with 182000 on the clock is in better shape.
How recently did you buy this vehicle? If you bought it new, and did the necessary maintenance, then no, you shouldn't have these problems at all, and you're really getting a crappy deal. But if you bought it used, and fairly recently, you should have had a mechanic you trust look over it before buying it; it would have saved you this headache. Its obvious the vehicle hasn't been cared for in the least, and somebody tried to drive the wheels off of it.
Old June 8th, 2009, 8:27 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

oh, the infamous DEATH WOBBLE!!
been there, felt it. scares the crap out of you, doesn't it? esp at 70mph on a freeway, when the hole front goes nuts...

ok, things to look at:

OPTION ONE: you have parallelogram steering. in this case, usual culprits are: pitman, idler.

OPTION TWO: you have reck-n-pinion. then, you do not have idler and pitman. in this case, it is one, or both hub bearings. they have tendency to go bad around 50-60 000 miles.

hub bearings are valid for option one either.

on my truck, took idler, steering shock upgrade, and driver side hub bearing to fix the problem. it slowly creeping back, i reckon - it's pass side bearing time.

Quick Reply: 05 silverado bump vibrations