Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

05 silverado bump vibrations

Search this Thread

Old June 8th, 2009, 9:13 PM
Classifieds Moderator
TruckForums Liaison

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have to agree with Blindsight on this one, can't explain your problem, but as far as your truck goes, they shouldn't fall apart like that. I have never had any complaints with GM reliability and my truck is completely stock with 146,000 miles on it. My dad has a Chevy truck at work with 457,000 miles and they still run it EVERY day. If a vehicle is treated right, it will treat you right. That is what I have always lived by. We have owned a 2002, 2003 and 2006 trucks with NO problems whatsoever. Whoever had that truck before you was an idiot. If you are the original owner and you do all of the right maintenance, then maybe you got the one lemon out of every 100,000 trucks they sell.
Old June 9th, 2009, 7:25 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by racerx55
trucks do that,especially extend cab trucks... its the frame flexing... the frame has to flex or it would break.
if you want a cadillac ride, buy a coupe DeVille.

how much longer is the crew cab verses extended and regular? ive been in trucks with much longer frames than a half ton pickup and never noticed "frame resonance." just because there is a fancy name for a defect doesnt mean that its acceptable. oh and speaking of me buying a caddy, thats one thing (another thing) that sucks about the silverado, it rides like a car, soft and bouncy. oh yeah i know i could spend money and buy torsion bars for it but should i really have to?
Old June 9th, 2009, 7:34 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by 92chevysilvy
Have to agree with Blindsight on this one, can't explain your problem, but as far as your truck goes, they shouldn't fall apart like that. I have never had any complaints with GM reliability and my truck is completely stock with 146,000 miles on it. My dad has a Chevy truck at work with 457,000 miles and they still run it EVERY day. If a vehicle is treated right, it will treat you right. That is what I have always lived by. We have owned a 2002, 2003 and 2006 trucks with NO problems whatsoever. Whoever had that truck before you was an idiot. If you are the original owner and you do all of the right maintenance, then maybe you got the one lemon out of every 100,000 trucks they sell.
i hear what your are saying an awful lot. no problems with the trucks that they own. but when i do internet searches i find all my problems to be common complaints. the clunky tranny is normal according to gm. everyone is complaining about the rotors falling apart. what i cant figure is why its only the inside of the rotor. gm claims its where you live and how the roads are treated in the winter but a rotor should be able to survive 4 years in the ocean without problem. does the dot have selective salt that only attacks rotor inners? my buddies tranny went out at 35000 on his truck. he towed with it but isnt that what is for? the listing is also normal and common! im glad youve had good luck with your trucks!
Old June 9th, 2009, 11:06 AM
Super Moderator

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Two words for you guys:

gas shocks

As to the ride quality, when somebody rides in my truck, there's ALWAYS two comments:

1 Within ten seconds after they get in the truck they all admire how roomy it is.

2 Within ten seconds after getting out of the truck, they all admire how great it rides.

I know I prefer a bit stiffer of a ride, but I've driven Cadillacs, and I much prefer the ride of my 2500HD.
Old June 9th, 2009, 11:02 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i have no idea how this thread turned into:
1. i have the best truck ever
2. i have the best shocks ever

thread, but DUDE, CHECK OUT YOUR HUB BEARINGS!!!!!

I have been through VERY SIMILAR symptoms for about half a year, scared to death every time. don't waste your time, check out hub bearings and idler/pitman, if you have it.(you shouldn't in 2005, but i won't be surprised.)

ok, let me be a good Samaritan and help:
jackstand the front so that tire is up in the air. grab tire at 6 and 12 and shake it back and for vigorously. if you have ANY PLAY, REPLACE THAT HUB BEARING IMMEDIATELY, IT SHOULD BE ROCK SOLID.

if you have idler and pitman, pm me, i'll tell you how to check them out.
Old June 9th, 2009, 11:29 PM
CF Active Member

Originally Posted by mikecwik
how much longer is the crew cab verses extended and regular? ive been in trucks with much longer frames than a half ton pickup and never noticed "frame resonance." just because there is a fancy name for a defect doesnt mean that its acceptable. oh and speaking of me buying a caddy, thats one thing (another thing) that sucks about the silverado, it rides like a car, soft and bouncy. oh yeah i know i could spend money and buy torsion bars for it but should i really have to?
i should stay out of this thread, its a mess.
its just gonna be a never ending arguement.
not all cars / trucks ride or drive the same, and not all vehicles are built to please everyone.
everyone expects their new truck to ride like a cadillac, handle like an F1 racecar, haul the load of freight barge and be able to stop 50 tons from 100mph in 4 feet accellerate like a top fuel dragster and wipe their *** for them, ( they about should for what they cost). people complain and complain and complain they dont like anything, nothing is good enough for anyone. its a truck, drive it or sell it. if its falling apart it was not taken care of, its not the trucks fault. my old truck had 200k miles and looked brand new inside and out and it had that "defect" frame resoance they all have that would about make you sick if you ate too much.. thats the ride of some trucks. but not all of them. stiff tires increase it dramatically.
if its tire shake from worn steering parts, were back to the no maintenance / abuse part again with that low of miles on it. maybe you got a rental that someone went mashing across corn feilds with for the weekend.
im not trying to be a dick, but dont blame the truck or GM. maybe you just got hosed?

Last edited by racerx55; June 9th, 2009 at 11:34 PM.
Old June 10th, 2009, 6:45 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by ukrkoz
i have no idea how this thread turned into:
1. i have the best truck ever
2. i have the best shocks ever

thread, but DUDE, CHECK OUT YOUR HUB BEARINGS!!!!!

I have been through VERY SIMILAR symptoms for about half a year, scared to death every time. don't waste your time, check out hub bearings and idler/pitman, if you have it.(you shouldn't in 2005, but i won't be surprised.)

ok, let me be a good Samaritan and help:
jackstand the front so that tire is up in the air. grab tire at 6 and 12 and shake it back and for vigorously. if you have ANY PLAY, REPLACE THAT HUB BEARING IMMEDIATELY, IT SHOULD BE ROCK SOLID.

if you have idler and pitman, pm me, i'll tell you how to check them out.
its not a death wobble issue. the steering linkages and wheel bearings are fine. i didnt look at them because of these symptoms i just whenever im underneath it check everything out. believe me this vehicle has lead a pampered life. maybe in fact that is its issue, ive been too soft on it and taken too good of care of it but the way i look at it is since i spent all this money why beat on it? i thank you, as with everyone for their help. i remember my wrangler had quite similiar issue it wouldnt vibrate it would just make about a 7 vibration noise over the bumps. took me years of pulling my hair out looking for it. turns out that the frame work for the hood had this sealant/glue on it and it had worked free and this was the culprit. i am a mechanic and most people in the vehicle tend not to notice anything i point out to them but if you get another mech in the car and ask them about something they already were aware of it happening. two wheel mechanic that is, i hate working on cars!
Old June 10th, 2009, 7:06 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by racerx55
i should stay out of this thread, its a mess.
its just gonna be a never ending arguement.
not all cars / trucks ride or drive the same, and not all vehicles are built to please everyone.
everyone expects their new truck to ride like a cadillac, handle like an F1 racecar, haul the load of freight barge and be able to stop 50 tons from 100mph in 4 feet accellerate like a top fuel dragster and wipe their *** for them, ( they about should for what they cost). people complain and complain and complain they dont like anything, nothing is good enough for anyone. its a truck, drive it or sell it. if its falling apart it was not taken care of, its not the trucks fault. my old truck had 200k miles and looked brand new inside and out and it had that "defect" frame resoance they all have that would about make you sick if you ate too much.. thats the ride of some trucks. but not all of them. stiff tires increase it dramatically.
if its tire shake from worn steering parts, were back to the no maintenance / abuse part again with that low of miles on it. maybe you got a rental that someone went mashing across corn feilds with for the weekend.
im not trying to be a dick, but dont blame the truck or GM. maybe you just got hosed?
i understand what youre saying, however. i might be wrong in my line of thinking here but i had a dedicated track bike that held up to 36000 miles of track time with only the following issues. 1 leaking fuel pump seal. 2 leaking waterpump seal. other than that it was just wear items, tires brakes, chain/sprockets, fluid, plugs, valve shims.... granted i never really revved it over peak power as it had several thousands of rpm's to go til redline past that point but thats pretty amazing. you really hardly ever see a sportbike period with more than 10000 on the clocks let alone a track bike. so the hard use of running it through the cornfields isnt much of an excuse to said issues, to me anyway. its a truck its supposed to do that stuff....according to dodge commercials anyway.
some things are not acceptable....frame resonance is one. drifting back and forth across the road in a powerstroke because of their steering issues another, and every chassis bearing and bushing being loose off the showroom floor on polaris outlaws. oh get this...our polaris rep joked about it and sait "loose is fast." polaris is junk and keeps my dealership in business because people dont know any better. i at this point cant say my chevy is junk but its getting to that point.
Old June 10th, 2009, 7:56 PM
CF Active Member

i will agree polaris is junk....
Old June 10th, 2009, 9:11 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you can not determine idler, pitman, and hub bearing problem by sliding under and looking at the components or yanking on this or that. period. you need at least 2 people to check on the 1st 2. 1mm play in either one will cost you hell on the road at 70mph bump.

whoever said this thread is a mess, is right. i'm outta here. I spoke. Hugh.