Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

07 NBS audio system upgrade?

Search this Thread

Old November 15th, 2007, 5:54 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 07 NBS audio system upgrade?

My LT2 crew cab did not come with the Bose system or XM radio. I really thought I could live without it, but now I am kinda' regretting not having it. So...my question is...

Can this be installed "after the fact"? Has anyone had this done? If so, is the cost close to the original sticker price for the option, or do they really stick it to you? Also, is it really worth it? I'm taking the truck into the dealership in the morning to have something looked at, and I thought about maybe having this done while it's there.

Any opinions?
Old November 15th, 2007, 7:40 PM
CF Active Member

Default RE: 07 NBS audio system upgrade?

XM is a $200 upgrade. You have to replace the Onstar antenna with a XM/Onstar antenna. The Bose, I am not sure.
Old November 15th, 2007, 8:05 PM
CF Beginner

I've never had a dealer do anything extra. Mainly b/c I don't trust them and they charge a premium for everything. I would imagine upgrading from what you have is going to cost a lot more then what an upgrade on sticker shows. The reason is because you are going to have to pay for the entire cost of the system, I doubt they'll credit you for your original speakers and radio. Although assuming you just bought the truck, an 07 crew cab with the LT2 package is not a cheap piece of equipment by any means. If that dealer wanted my business in the future they better work with what I want.

Is the bose system really that great? I really don't know. As for the XM upgrade. I gave up on local radio stations after I heard one interviewing the brother from diff strokes one morning. I decided to retrofit my 03 Z71 to accept my ipod. Afterwards there was a sharp decline in my episodes of road rage. I actually enjoy driving to and from work during rush hour. I've listened to XM radio too and that's infinitely better than the alternative.
Old November 15th, 2007, 8:29 PM
CF Junior Member

I have the LT2 with Bose and XM. I really enjoy both and the Bose sounds great ( I think my version has the subwoofer in the center console). I have a Sirius subscription as well and hope that they combine some of the channels.

I bet the dealer would charge an arm and leg to upgrade your system.
Old November 15th, 2007, 8:47 PM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The Bose speaker and amp system is very difficult and extremely expensive to install after the fact, the head unit is the same regardless of whether it is a Bose or not and the OEM whizzer-cone speakers are not worth the cost of labor to remove them.

Silverado's use a completely different body wire harness based on many factors; Bose or no Bose is one of those factors and so a wire harness would have to be fabricated and spliced into your existing wiring to accomplish the install, the amp is also a separate module that must be programmed for your truck as well, it is very doubtful that a dealer would have the expertise to do a competent job on this.

You would be much better off replacing the OEM speakers with a good aftermarket unit and adding and amp and maybe even a sub, if done right you can spend around $600 (maybe even less) and have a better sound then the Bose in the end.
Old November 15th, 2007, 9:49 PM
CF Beginner

Thanks to all for the responses!

structures282,
I agree with you. I really don't consider my truck "cheap", but I will admit it's not the "top of the line". I've got the tan leather bucket seats, the 20" wheels, the sunroof, adjustable pedals, backup sensors, remote starter, 4X4, towing package, etc...just about everything I wanted EXCEPT the premium sound system! I am trying to get over it, but I just don't think I'll be happy until I do something about it. I may take your advice, and go for the XM radio while I am at the dealership tomorrow. I hear tell that it is not a difficult install. Something about a "module" that is mounted behind the glove box?

jlm6740,
I may have to "steal" your avatar! That looks exactly like my new truck.

ZX1100F1,
Thanks again for your reply. You seem pretty knowledgeable about these things, so could you possibly offer a suggestion for an aftermarket "setup"? $600 would be cheap for something that would outperform the Bose system! I am not terribly concerned about volume (the factory system is loud enough for me), but I would love something with better quality sound.

-HT
Old November 15th, 2007, 10:06 PM
CF Beginner

i recently purchased the xm gm upgrade on ebay for $170. i am taking my truck to the dealership tomorrow for install. they told me they will install for $200.
Old November 15th, 2007, 10:43 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: ZX1100F1
You would be much better off replacing the OEM speakers with a good aftermarket unit and adding and amp and maybe even a sub, if done right you can spend around $600 (maybe even less) and have a better sound then the Bose in the end.
This would be my advice as well.
Old November 16th, 2007, 10:37 AM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

If the OEM volume (power) is good enough then you can swap speakers out for better ones.
Everybody has a preference.

My 20007 Silverado is a regular cab.

I replaced the stock tweeters in the A-pillar with a set of Polks db series http://www.polkaudio.com/caraudio/pr...kers/tweeters/
These Polk tweeters have a very crisp high-end sound compared to the mediocre stock tweeters, I used Gorilla glue to hold them in place behind the OEM grills.

I swapped out the 6.5" door speakers with a new Italian speaker called Hertz http://www.hertzaudiovideo.com/default_en.htm I used the Energy series ECX 165 which are inexpensive (about $100 pair) very efficient and have a very nice sound quality and surprisingly decent bass response.

You will want to use speaker adapters such as these found on Ebay: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/6-Spe...spagenameZWDVW
Without these the speakers will not mount properly and will sound bad.

Then I finished it off with an Infinity BassLink-T Powered Sub behind the seat:
http://www.infinitysystems.com/car/p...amp;Region=USA

I was into everything a little over $500 and installed it all in less then 4 hours, the end result was well worth it.

Old January 10th, 2008, 3:09 PM
CF Beginner

I did the same thing , and wish I had the Bose system, espesially after driveing my wifes Monte with the factory amp. You should try Crutchfeild.com for factory fit replacement stereo systems, they sell nice packages that require no alterations in your vehical to install them, great Company and customer service too!