Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

08 Silverado Diagnostic scan

Search this Thread

Old March 19th, 2015, 7:30 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 08 Silverado Diagnostic scan

New here but I have been browsing this forum a lot the last couple of months. Great forum with a ton of great information.

A couple of years ago we got the service bulletin for theTPS on the 08 Silverado. At that time our vehicle didn’t show the symptoms. Roughly 6 months ago it started showing the symptoms. I searched all over forthe SB as I thought the truck was no longer covered but wanted to make sure before calling the dealership. I contacted a customer service rep online and she told me the details of the SB and that we still where under the mileage limit of 120,013.

I set up an appointment and the service department scans ityesterday. He calls and tells me #7 is misfiring, my crankshaft position sensor is dirty and there is carbon build-up. $700 to take care of all those issues, I said no thanks we will take care of those issues. I work out of town so I had my wife go get the pick-up, she paid the $100 for the scan, but he wouldn’t give her a copy of the codes or report from the scan, nothing. Is this normal? I feel if I paid for a scan I should get the report and not just take his word for it.

Before my wife was out of there the service tech told her she needed to get rid of the truck and take a look on the lot, the truck had too many issues. The truck is paid for, no issues (except the miss) which I hope a plug/wire change will take care of, and no offense to any service tech’s but the last person I’m going to take the word of is someone who works for a dealership.

Anyway is it standard for you to not to receive anything from the diagnostic scan? He never told me codes only what I mentioned above.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by iowaguntrader; March 19th, 2015 at 8:30 AM. Reason: spelling
Old March 19th, 2015, 7:24 PM
Super Moderator

Received 509 Likes on 469 Posts

I would want this information if I paid for a diagnosis. Every shop I have worked for provide this information in the technician story. Its shows the customer some value for his/her diagnosis dollar. I do work at a dealership so don't take my word for anything...right.

What did they see to believe there was evidence of carbon build up? Dirty CPS...its in the crankcase exposed to oil throw off...this is normal...more info needed. What concern did you want addressed? If its for oil consumption or misfire on #7 cylinder...do you have afm.

Last edited by tech2; March 19th, 2015 at 7:32 PM.
Old March 20th, 2015, 7:13 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Tech for the reply. I should have phrased it better, the last person I'm going to believe telling me to buy a new vehicle is someone working for the dealership.

Yeah that's my issue, I paid for something I thought we would get a print out, a chance to view the codes, or something all we got was the service guy stating what he had found. He didn't go into any detail, literally just said #7 misfire, crankshaft sensor dirty and carbon build-up. Quoted the price for everything and said truck had problems should take a look on the lot.

He didn't say anything about any issue, just what the issue's where, and even then all I have is what he told me. So I have no idea how he determined if the crankshaft sensor was dirty or why there was carbon build-up. As for AFM, I dont know if my truck has that or not. The engine is a 5.3 with Flex Fuel capability.
Old March 20th, 2015, 7:18 PM
Super Moderator

Received 509 Likes on 469 Posts

do you have a oil consumption problem? If the misfire is current, swap a coil to see if the misfire follows the coil. if the misfire stays on 7, swap a spark plug from a good cylinder. if the misfire stays on 7, do a compression check.
this is direction I would have gone in the one hour diagnosis....I could have told you that the coil is good or bad, the plug is good or bad, signs of oil consumption on the plug/ash build up, the conditions of the valve train and compression rings and if the afm lifter had collapsed.