Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

1/2 Ton Truck Hauls A Ton

Search this Thread

Old September 16th, 2010, 7:12 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 1/2 Ton Truck Hauls A Ton

Well, my 2004 Silverado pulled its weight today. I used it to take a load of stuff to the county landfill - dirty, but light in weight.

After lunch, I picked up about one ton of brick-like blocks for landscaping & yard decoration. I only had to travel about four miles, but the truck held up just fine. It sagged just a bit in the rear and I had to step down a bit harder on the brake pedal at stop signs, but it did not drive to sloppily and the 5.3L had adequate power to handle the extra weight.

Obviously, I would not put that kind of load in my Silverado every day - but it peformed very well today. To do that kind of work on a regular basis would probably call for a 2500HD, but the 1500 did well for a single load.

I bet a Duramax could pull like that all day long.
Old September 16th, 2010, 9:25 PM
Super Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i have hauled 2600 lbs in the back on my 95 half ton.. it was a bunch of 10" block..my dads a mason........ it was saggin pretty good and it was creekin..and makin pop noises lol...but we had to go about 20 miles down the highway...kind of scarey with that much weight..
Old September 17th, 2010, 12:32 PM
CF Active Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I hauled a load of rail road ties in the back of my 08 silverado. Don't know the weight, but it sagged pretty good in the back. Didn't bottom out or anything, but I wouldn't have wanted to hit any big bumps I had to haul it to a land fill (twice) approximately 20 miles away on the interstate. No problems. My truck has the 4.8L and the 3.73 rear end. had no problems. I did use the tow/haul mode and noticed the truck accelerated with no problems.

Eric
Old September 18th, 2010, 1:11 AM
CF Pro Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

last year i did a mason job in which i cut off the bottom 4' of stucco off a house and replaced it with stone, the stucco had to go though, over 250 sq ft was taken down and loaded into the back of my 79 2wd blazer, and has to haul it up the mountain to the dump, made it easily, just squated A LOT